1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Obama Hands Out "Long Form" Birth Certificate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can you direct us to the case law on that?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed. But when x percent and growing are birthers something had to be done.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now, you decided to highlight "he was brilliant". Someone else would highlight "because he was African-American", assign it more relevance, and draw a completely different conclusion.

How old was Obabma when he went to Harvard? I know he worked in Chicago for a few years first. Would that make him older than the average student, or is it common enough that he wouldn't have stood out because of it?

(And, I only ask because it would be natural for him to be more mature if he were older, though I would imagine that many of the students had worked a few years before beginning Law School.)

4. Dick Whitman

Oh, my God.

He was the editor in chief of the Harvard Law Review.

He was the editor in chief of the Harvard Law Review.

HE WAS THE EDITOR IN CHIEF OF THE HARVARD LAW REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know how hard that is to accomplish? Does anyone have any clue?

5. YankeeFan

No. Not at all. I'm not saying I believe it. I'm not saying it's true. I'm not saying there's any basis in the law for such a claim.

I just know it's one of the claims made by birthers -- and I'm not even sure of the details of the claim.

I think it's silly.

6. YankeeFan

I'm not arguing with you. I believe the guy is brilliant in many respects.

But, like Bill Clinton, he's also incredibly charming. And that helps too.

7. Dick Whitman

I know, I know. I'm not venting at you specifically as much as at the tired refrain in general.

He was the editor in chief of the Harvard Law Review. Then he got a job offer from a mega-prestigious Chicago law firm. At some point, he earned these things, which are not easy to come by.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Did anyone else just have a flashback to "The American President"?

"... I've known [Donald Trump] for years, and I've been operating under the assumption that the reason [Donald] devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn't get it. Well, I was wrong. [Trump's] problem isn't that he doesn't get it. [Trump's] problem is that he can't sell it! We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, [Donald Trump] is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections... I'm Barack Obama and I *AM* President of the United States."

9. Dick Whitman

OK, so he's not socially awkward. Why is that a mark against him? Maybe our next president can be a reclusive astrophysicist.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So a criminal conviction isn't relevant, but this is?

11. Dick Whitman

As everybody knows, if you want to make it in this country, the easiest route is to start off life as the black son of a teen-age single mother.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

She was 18 at the time of his birth and had been in the U.S. her whole life. By law: A) at the time of his birth she would have had to have been in the U.S. at least five years at some point; and B) at least two of those years would have had to have been after her 14th birthday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.