1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Obama Hands Out "Long Form" Birth Certificate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Elena Kagan got slammed for getting a B in a first-semester law school class.

Honestly, other than maybe sites like the Daily Kos or other way-left blogs, I don't remember much fuss whatsoever about Bush's DUI. Particularly since his life narrative presented was of a man who had left his youth behind completely and decided to become a serious person. Hell, the DUI worked in his favor in some ways, because it gave some concreteness to the narrative.

2. Dick Whitman

I'm seeing, "What about his college records?"

What does that mean? Do they mean his grades? Or is that a continuation of the old theory that he didn't really attend Columbia?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think most analysts would say it did cost him votes.

It came out at the last minute. It looked like he was hiding something and it sucked the air out of his final "get out the vote" message.

And, in a race that close, just a few votes could have made a difference.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A criminal arrest and conviction isn't relevant to a presidential campaign?

And I said Mrs. Bush's accident was "newsworthy," which it is, even if only as a matter of biography.

5. Dick Whitman

Mitch Daniels has a majijuana possession conviction.

6. YankeeFan

Grades. People are saying, "how did he get into Columbia?".

Trump says he was a lousy student. Buchanan said on MSNBC the other day that he was an "affirmative action" acceptant.

Others are saying that someone must have pulled strings to get him into Columbia and/or Harvard law and want to know who pulled the strings.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'll take his driving record and academic transcripts. Why not?

8. Dick Whitman

HE WAS EDITOR-IN-CHIEF OF THE HARVARD LAW REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE TAUGHT CONSTITUTIONAL LAW AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EFLJFSLSDFLSFFSLJFELFSJD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Never mind the fact that his mother (and her parents) were born in Kansas and she lived in the U.S. until she was 25. Even if he'd been born in Kenya, jus sanguinis would still be applicable.

10. YankeeFan

I mean, maybe it is. I just think that its relevance is an open question.

I'm not dismissing the seriousness of a DUI. I'm just now sure what a conviction that was what, over 20 years old, tells us about the person.

And, Laura's incident is factual and was discussed. But there were conspiracy theories about it on the left that rivaled anything put forward by the right about the President's birth certificate.

11. Dick Whitman

"One thing that is hard to remember, but was true, was that there was at times some eye-rolling at the Law Review about Barack because it was almost as if he was part of the faculty, bigger than a law student. A lot of professors were usually indifferent to students. But they were almost sycophantic to him. It was clearly both because he was brilliant and because he was African-American. He was also incredibly mature and thoughtful and still had his heart in the right place." - David Goldberg, Harvard Law School classmate and fellow Law Review staffer

12. YankeeFan

I'm not an expert on all the birther's claims, but I believe that one of them has to do with his mother's age at the time of his birth.

Something about her not being 18 yet (and I'm not even sure if that part is true) would mean that he wouldn't be a natural born citizen (according to them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.