1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Clinton in NYC Hospital

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bagelchick, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sad and scary. I'm guessing he's probably about the same age as my parents. He hasn't looked good in quite some time.

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Spokesperson..."He's in good spirits". So I guess he's conscious.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Just not a guy who's likely to live to old age, even with the top medical care he has access to.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'll be stunned if he makes it to 70.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Anyone who has had a heart procedure done once is generally at risk for needing one again, especially after bypass surgery. My late father had an angioplasty, then needed a sextuple bypass, and then had to have a stent put in, all like clockwork every five years. I believe it's been six years since Clinton's bypass surgery.

Of course, this is only my personal experience. DocTalk, care to weigh in?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If he stepped completely out of the limelight, stopped doing all the work he does and just 'retired'? Then maybe. But he's not the kind of guy who's gonna do that.

7. Mizzougrad96

I don't think what he's doing now is that stressful. The guy has family health issues and he doesn't take care of himself, like most of everyone else on the planet.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I remember there was a similar incident with Carl Yastrzemski (who's about 5-7 years older than Clinton) a few years ago, and he ended up having a triple bypass but is apparently OK now. Let's hope that is the case here as well ...

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not. Stents are much less invasive. They don't put you under for most of those procedures and you are conscious the whole time. It has become relatively routine, thankfully. Also, based on details now, it sounds like it wasn't done as an emergency procedure. They decided to do it a few days ago and he was scheduled for yesterday and actually postponed it until today, according to what NBC News is reporting. That would be a good sign.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

He was in Haiti earlier in the week.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I dunno. He's doing a lot of traveling, which puts a strain on the body, and he's doing a lot of 'important work', which does the same.

It's not being president, but I don't think it's a walk in the park, either.

But yeah, even without those things, the deck's not exactly stacked in his favor -- and offered the chance to cut the cards, he's politely declined.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My Dad has coronary artery disease. He had 7-bypass surgery 12 years ago and came out with flying colors (never had a heart attack or anything.)

A few months ago, he was having chest pains.

He's in great shape, takes his meds, etc.

They did some imaging tests that revealed 5 of the 7 bypasses were blocked up again.

So he just had quintuple-bypass surgery in December. A week in the hospital, a little resting at home... he's now back at work, exercising and feeling great.

Bypass surgery only lasts 10-12 years. I can't remember when Clinton's was... but he should probably nix the stents and just do it again.

If the heart muscle is still in good shape... and with the meds being better now... there's no reason he shouldn't live many more years.

Draft saved Draft deleted