1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If it turns out he was paying for companionship but the women were 18-plus, not only will he not resign but he’ll get re-elected if he chooses to run.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I confess. We don't report our 120,000-ruble rental income.

Fred siegle and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The immigration situation is bad enough Friedman is using the word "high wall" to describe a solution.

Opinion | We Need a High Wall With a Big Gate on the Southern Border

I wish we could take in everyone suffering in the world and give each a shot at the American dream, but we can’t while maintaining our own social cohesion, which is already fraying badly enough. So, making immigration policy today requires a tough-minded balance between hardheartedness and compassion.

If we just emphasize the high wall, and wear cruelty as a badge of honor, as Trump did, we lose out on the huge benefits of immigration. But if all we do is focus, as many on the left do, on the evils of a wall and ignore the principles of a big gate — that would-be immigrants and asylum-seekers need to get in line, ring our doorbell and enter legally, and those who don’t should be quickly evicted — we will also lose out on the huge benefits of immigration.

Why? Because so many Americans will think that the border is open and out of control that they will elect leaders who will choke off all immigration, which is the lifeblood of our country. Have no doubt, a seemingly out-of-control border would be a godsend for the Trump G.O.P. — an emotional club even more evocative than the mantra “Defund the police” with which to beat Democratic candidates in the midterms.

6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Mr. Bolton found that the agency’s leaders failed to adequately prepare despite explicit warnings that pro-Trump extremists posed a threat to law enforcement and civilians and that the police used defective protective equipment. He also found that the leaders ordered their Civil Disturbance Unit to refrain from using its most powerful crowd-control tools — like stun grenades — to put down the onslaught.

Capitol Police Told to Hold Back on Riot Response on Jan. 6, Report Finds

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Blanket Pardons, My Pillows and Bed-Minster: The Trump Years

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They
    Were
    In
    On
    It

9. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

If it's attainable, can it really be considered ambitious? (somewhat of a crosspost from the corona thread)

Mngwa likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As ever, the lack of specifics makes Friedman's words not much more than hollow rhetoric. I daresay the flow of desperate people seeking entry to the US would be much lower if we had spent the money we pissed away in Afghanistan the last 20 years, a project I bet Friedman still supports, on assistance to Central America.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Perhaps. Some Central American nations are corrupt enough that assuming the money would be distributed in a way that reached the most vulnerable is a big stretch.

I agree Friedman doesn’t give a plan. If it wasn’t as bad as it is - and it’s really bad - he wouldn’t be writing it at all.

Democrats are frozen on this issue. They painted themselves in the such an ideological corner that doing much at all risks triggering the media and a rhetorically influential voting sector.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why is it really bad for many many people seeking to enter the US, most of whom won't get in? We could improve their humanitarian situation at the border, true, but in what sense is this flow of people, which is at least a century old, a threat or even problem for the United States? I don't see it. Neither did Ronald Reagan, come to think of it.
    PS: Turns out Friedman wrote an immigration column with the same metaphor and same headline on April 5, 2006. This ain't new.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted