1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

In the midwest, if you have a $300,000 house, it's probably a very nice place and you are probably upper-middle class. If you have a $600k mortgage, you're not rich, but you're doing well. In my neighborhood, the medium home price is $350-400k or so, but property taxes are nowhere near $9,000. Nobody I know itemizes anymore. All our taxes increased because of Trump's "cuts." We are squarely middle class, maybe skewing a hair toward upper-middle, it any. We got to itemize for exactly two years after building our house. Kind of sucks. It was a great benefit to owning for the middle and anyone below middle who could pull it off.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They also want public education destroyed so they can syphon the money off to private schools. Of course, they like religious schools, but investments by friends and family in secular private education were a big motivator for Betsy DeVos.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I know very little of Neera Tanden. Not sure why Joe Manchin is taking his stand here over mean tweets. But he is. Seems like this one ain’t gonna happen, which is silly but reality.

Get Garland done. And jam through the COVID rescue bill.

With the huge COVID bill, which will finally give relief to state and local governments, combined with the falling virus cases and rising vaccinations, the country could be off to the races by summer/early fall.

After four years of an incompetent, unfit, criminal in the White House and a year of pandemic, I cannot wait for good times.

So happy the Biden Administration isn’t falling for the republican “let’s compromise” bullshit. They will only water down the rescue package and NEVER support it. Gotta go BIG.

Get the country past COVID. Prosecute the traitors who tried to overthrow the government on Jan. 6. Prosecute Trump for his many, many crimes.

Then rev up with a recovered, rebounding country and beat the living shit out of republicans in the 2022 midterms.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The other big part of this okie-doke is the snark against college education. Over the last decade on Facebook I doubt I’ve ever gone more than 2-3 months between waves of posts of “Tell your children to take up a vocational trade and don’t ever make fun of plumbers/welders/HVAC repairmen/etc.” The ones that really want to push it share a cartoon of a lineman cutting off the power of a liberal arts major. Herp derp hilarious.

I never see posts actually attacking these blue collar trades. (Even we heathen liberals want someone to come fix a burst pipe at midnight before it washes away all we own.) But Real Murica is stone convinced there are roving bands of pointy-headed people laughing at them, and by God they’re not having it.

The subtext of course is that they don’t want Junior going away for school because then he might start thinking for himself and get a job in the big city and not move back to Fudd County, where Mama and Daddy have already pictured him settling down on the next road over and them maintaining a veto over him and whatever local girl he marries and the 3.5 grandbabies he’s going to give them to show off at church.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My favorite bit of GOP snark against college was Mitt Romney sneering that Barack Obama “spent a little too much time at Hahhhhvard.”

Romney has a Harvard degree. So do his three oldest sons.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

yes but obama majored in uppity

wicked, swingline, X-Hack and 11 others like this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think he’s pulling this now to show he’s going to need extra attention on the bigger stuff

garrow likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There’s something to this.

But there also were hundreds of thousands of students aimlessly making their way through college in the 1990s and Aughts just because it was something they were told they should do. Racking up thousands upon thousands of dollars in debt we’re now going to have to bail out because they had no direction in life.

The people these people are trying to reach are not the students that head off to Atlanta and get a job that’s six figures within a few years. It’s the 25-year old stuck back in Podunk managing a retail store, working 70 hours a week and pulling in $38,000 a year to go along with $55,000 in student debt. On a financial treadmill for decades to get back to where they would’ve been without the degree.

Whatever these people’s intention, convincing most of the borderline students to go the trades route and then adding the higher education later is the best way forward for this country. The country is desperate for people who can build things, fix things, create something that isn’t invisible money in the stock market.

Europe figured this out decades ago with its apprenticeship system.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whos the anon, Miller?

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

People want public education to hurt so they can get a voucher for 5-10k for private school that won’t make their kid sit next to coloreds or Jews or fags.

It’s that simple.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

This gets overlooked so often. But I think it's true as well.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They may not want to sit by us Jews but we still own the world. Joke's on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted