1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

McCarthyism

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How dare those brown people procreate!

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The absurdity of that one.

We steadily grew the government while he was president and increased spending to a whole other level. And at the same time, we did a tax cut, which has brought in less revenue. It's so absurd, it's not even an Orwellian attempt at language. As a reminder, when the idiot was bullshitting on the campaign trail in 2016, he was saying that he was somehow going to eliminate the national debt in 8 years, which was so beyond absurd given his personal history of digging holes he couldn't get out of. But most people didn't blink at the bullshit and absurdity of it, especially given that he was talking about epic spending at the same time with his populist word salads.

FWIW, what Biden is trying to do right now should be criminal. The only thing keeping the U.S. from defaulting on the nearly $30 trillion in debt it has run up (mostly in the last 3 presidencies) is a central bank that has been price fixing the debt markets with more and more radical interventions to keep us from drowning in interest payments. It's robbing savers of yield, creating massive wealth inequality, destroying the economy, and punishing everyone with an "inflation tax" that hits poor people hardest. ... to make up for the taxes we don't (can't) collect to keep up with the insane amount of spending we have grown the government beast to. And we do it without any thought now.

And here comes Joe Biden, letting the idiots in Congress he is aligned with lead him into blowing out the spending to a whole new level, as if we can keep up a debt monetization scheme forever. The number of zombie companies that exist on borrowing, and overlevered individuals living fantasies, that are going to default on their debts at some point when the mess they have created implodes, is in the trillions upon trillions of dollars. It goes hand in hand with the "benefit" politicians have gotten, where they can spend wastefully, just keep growing their budgets (and crowd that money out of the way more productive supply and demand-driven economy) and just add it to the ledger.

When the central bank can no longer prop up the mountain of debt by keeping yields negative in real terms, and the confidence game ends, the payback is going to be devastating. But we're sitting here like Nero fiddling, discussing how to wastefully spend trillions of dollars more that we're going to add to that Federal debt load.

SFIND likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As you know I respect your economic analysis a great deal. I disagree with calling Biden criminal.

What’s criminal was increasing spending then talking tax cuts for the magical “trickle down “ effect.

Biden inherited a huge mess, don’t immediately demand he cure the issue in 8 mos.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Politico's West Wing Playbook had a very hot story today: Apparently Jennifer Rubin has turned tail and now supports a Democratic president.

Rubin gets wind of story then emails whiny response with the subject line "OFF THE RECORD." (I don't think the timing of the story had much to do with Yom Kippur.) Reporter cut and pasted email in full and dropped in story.

The Jennifer Rubin <--> WH symbiosis

It's not off the record unless both parties agree to it, but I don't see the purpose of inserting this. I don't see the point of writing anything on this unless you're making it two lines in a clearing-the-notebook column. Congrats, Captain Obvious.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jennifer Rubin was such a rabid Never Trumper that I had no idea she was conservative.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As established by the Air Force during the Revolutionary War.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This was clearly decided in New Jersey Expressway Authority v. McCall, 420 U.S. 375 (1975) which held that:

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's the way that I move, the things that I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted