1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President '08

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sheos, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sheos

sheos Member

Who do you guys want to see as the next clown in the Oval Office?
    I'd love to see Barack Obama running the show, he's the most intelligent candidate out there, but he's a liberal black man with a name that sounds like Osama, so I didn't see middle American giving him a chance.
    The only other candidate I'd be semi-interested in is Al Gore. Perhaps Americans will say, "well gee, we voted for him last time he certainly couldn't have done any worse." Sure, he's boring, but I think he'd be a decent president. Obama would be much better, like a Clinton with better judgement.
    What does everyone else think? Republicans chime in as well.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30648/

3. sheos

sheos Member

That post was asking who do you think will be next president... I said who do you want as president.
    but yeah i didn't know it was up there. i'm new. you must hate me. i'm going to slit my wrist and eat a couple of bottles of tylenol pm.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not necessary. All I want is a beer, newbie. :)

Obama *is* the heartland: Illinois loves him, and I believe one of his parents is a farmer from Kansas. '08 may be too soon for his run, though. He's pretty new to the scene.

I'd love to see a female president, but I don't think that's gonna happen this time around. After that, I'd take Richardson. I'm tired of the old white men running this country. Give me a minority candidate.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Whole-heartedly agree with that. Give me Obama.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Paging old tony, paging old tony...

8. pallister

pallister Guest

For all the people who want Obama, what qualifications are you basing that on?

And please don't give me the "Fredo wasn't qualified" blah, blah, blah," talking point.

I'm honestly asking those who support him to be leader of the free world to explain what you think makes him qualified to be president. I know he's a great orator and a media darling, but I'm looking for more substance. Perhaps there's enough there there; I honestly don't know. I would just like to hear more from those so quick to support him.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

But isn't the best qualification anymore being a great orator? If you talk a good game, a large percentage of Americans won't bother to look too deep.

10. sheos

sheos Member

what qualification do you really need to be president, it's just a popularity contest anyway (see: 43rd president). obama is an intelligent man (intelligent men do make the best presidents) who comes from humble beginnings - let's bring someone real into the white house who knows what it's like to slum. that's one of the things i always liked about clinton, he was just a po boy from the south.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Granted, this is taken from his Web site, but if there were any out-and-out lies in this, the Trib or Sun-Times would have uncovered them ...

Barack Obama has dedicated his life to public service as a community organizer, civil rights attorney, and leader in the Illinois state Senate. Obama now continues his fight for working families following his recent election to the United States Senate.

Sworn into office January 4, 2005, Senator Obama is focused on promoting economic growth and bringing good paying jobs to Illinois. Obama serves on the important Environment and Public Works Committee, which oversees legislation and funding for the environment and public works projects throughout the country, including the national transportation bill. He also serves on the Veterans ’ Affairs Committee where he is focused on investigating the disability pay discrepancies that have left thousands of Illinois veterans without the benefits they earned. Senator Obama also serves on the Foreign Relations Committee.

During his seven years in the Illinois state Senate, Obama worked with both Democrats and Republicans to help working families get ahead by creating programs like the state Earned Income Tax Credit, which in three years provided over $100 million in tax cuts to families across the state. Obama also pushed through an expansion of early childhood education, and after a number of inmates on death row were found innocent, Senator Obama enlisted the support of law enforcement officials to draft legislation requiring the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases.

Obama is especially proud of being a husband and father of two daughters, Malia, 8 and Sasha, 4. Obama and his wife, Michelle, married in 1992 and live on Chicago ’s South Side where they attend Trinity United Church of Christ.

Barack Obama was born on August 4th, 1961, in Hawaii to Barack Obama, Sr. and Ann Dunham. Obama graduated from Columbia University in 1983, and moved to Chicago in 1985 to work for a church-based group seeking to improve living conditions in poor neighborhoods plagued with crime and high unemployment. In 1991, Obama graduated from Harvard Law School where he was the first African American editor of the Harvard Law Review.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That doesn't explain Dubya now, does it.

Draft saved Draft deleted