1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preserving valuable books

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rico_the_redneck, Jun 9, 2009.

1. I've got about 6 or 7 books that are autographed (books signed by two ex-presidents and a copy of No Country for Old Men signed by Woody Harrelson are the big things). I would like to preserve them so I can pass them down to my kids some day. I had one of the books in a custom frame, but the signature started fading. I thought for $300, I was getting a frame that would preserve the signature!

Anyway, I've heard there are archival type boxes that I can put the books in. I've looked at Michael's and done searches on the Internet and can't really find anything. Any suggestions?

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

As far as I know, valuable books are stored in climate controlled rooms, that sort of seal and no light on them. Let me know how much the renovation is.

3. T2

T2 Member

Rico, I'm assuming that your $300 custom frame held the book open so the autograph was visible, and it happened that the autograph was made using some type of ink that fades on long exposure to light.

My suggestion: store the books with the covers closed. Then, when you want to impress someone, pull out a book and open it up to the flyleaf. "See? That's Millard Fillmore's signature!"

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you want to preserve them for posterity, putting books in a frame is a rather expensive proposition. Plus you can't read them. :)

You can buy some clear plastic that's designed for wrapping books.

And btw, just because a book is autographed, doesn't make it valuable--at least in monetary terms.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I'd be happy to sign any books...$25 per signature, plus postage! Oh wait.. by the author?

Draft saved Draft deleted