1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preseason predictions -- we're holding you accountable!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Blogger ranks baseball writers according to how their preseason baseball predictions hold up at midseason. According to this, Buster Olney is the absolute worst, while TBL is clairvoyant:

http://blogs.whereistand.com/gethro/54

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

His scoring method is a bit screwy.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Talk to me on Oct. 1.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Exactly. Then we can revisit this guy's ranking of the rankings and hold him accountable.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Three years ago, the Nats were like 5 1/2 games up in the NL East at this point.
    So, yeah, let's do this again in October. Ain't nobody won shit yet.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Even so, I thought it was understood that such predictions were just for fun. The idea of some blogger taking it seriously enough to tally the results made me laugh.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It made you laugh? I was interested to see how it worked out (with the caveat of lets check back in October).

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, Frank, honestly, it is all in "fun" I think -- and if you think about it, how is this any more "making something more serious than it really is" than anything else we do in covering sports.

NONE of it is life and death. This is no more or less serious than the predictions themselves. Some will find it interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted