1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps writer, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Duke, Aug 9, 2006.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a staff writer at another major paper, even a part-timer -- with the leverage of his own paper countering -- will command more for a job opening than a guy who's been paid by the story as a correspondent. If he's been doing the same thing for them for four years, he can only be so coveted elsewhere, right? I don't know the situation at the P-D, but that's what it looks like from outside -- probably wasn't a money issue on St. Petersburg guy vs. Dedicated Stringer.

2. Kamikaze Bingo

Kamikaze Bingo New Member

Plus, regardless of what previous posters have said, Sumers was not a part-timer in St. Pete. He was full-time preps in the Citrus County bureau, and worked a ton.

3. JME

JME Member

I believe the vacated job in St. Pete was/is a 32-hour per week gig.

4. Kamikaze Bingo

Kamikaze Bingo New Member

I need to get better sources... Still, it's not as if Sumers was a stringer himself.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

yeah.
    yeah. i wouldn't call that full-time. plus, i don't think they get benefits either.

6. sheos

sheos Member

yeah. i wouldn't call that full-time. plus, i don't think they get benefits either.
    [/quote]

A lot of those gigs actually pay close to 40 hours, and the writer ends up working about 60 without benefits. It's actually a nice gig for a young guy at a big paper. Now if you're over 30 and doing that.....

7. JME

JME Member

60 hours, getting paid for 32 or 40, with no benefits = a nice gig?

8. sheos

sheos Member

i know a lot of guys that did it, and it worked out for them very nicely in the end. it's better than starting in the Boondocks, making $12 an hour (and benefits, yay), laying out your own stories and drinking moonshine.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Dude, I love my job. And you know damn well you did that when you were in your last FT gig.

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

after a copule of injuries, I wouldn't recommend working without benefits to anyone. However, if you're like most sports writers, your idea of being active is lifting your arm for the pizza in the press box, so there are no worries on getting an injury there.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

St. Pete, to its credit, has boosted a few of its 32-hour prep jobs to full-time over the last few years. But the remote outpost of Citrus County still has one of them, and that was Sumers' gig. The jobs come with benefits after a while, but by that time the 32-hour thing can start to wear thin.

12. JME

JME Member

My last full-time gig paid for 40 hours and had benefits.

I'm not knocking the hustle -- I'm doing it myself -- but 'great gig' is a bit of a stretch under those conditions.

Draft saved Draft deleted