1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps writer in Port Charlotte, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by scottpzucker, Feb 26, 2020.

1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Did any professor at FIU go through a cover letter with you? I didn't read it. saw the single graph block of text and couldn't bring myself to read it.

2. scottpzucker

scottpzucker New Member

I will fess up that I did put in the wrong email address when I posted it. I saw the mistake the next morning, but decided to leave it as it was and see if anyone took the time to find the correct address. I have been pleasantly surprised to find how many candidates did. I felt that if you aren't enough of a reporter to Google me, you probably aren't right for the job.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Oh Jesus Christ get over yourself and just fix it. Grow up.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So you accidentally put "mysun.com" instead of "yoursun.com" when typing your own e-mail address in a public job posting? And it took you until the next morning to recognize the mistake?

Sounds like as an editor, you probably aren't right for your job.

5. PMO

PMO New Member

IIRC from my time at that joint, there might be a good reason why Scott made that mistake. I know I had a few different email addresses during my time there (do to a changing of systems) and during the transition from one to the next, emails were supposed to bounce automatically to the new address. Until they didn't ... which seemed to be almost immediately. I know that paper just recently went from family-owned to chain-owned and there was probably yet another server switch involved. Not trying to speak for Scott or to take issue with any of the criticism here. Just my .02.

RonClements likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Getting back on subject ... my parents lived in Punta Gorda and got this paper, so I read it whenever I visited. The sports section was good. Local high school/Florida college-sports centered, as it should be, but they also had a nice mix of Bucs/Lightning/Rays mixed in. And a nice agate page that ran the transactions every day, a real plus for me.

PC also looked like a decent place to live.

PMO likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted