1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps writer/editor in Fort Wayne, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Prince of Persia, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hey, there was NO Olive Garden when I lived there, dammit.

And you must be one of the freaky, scary Indiana drivers, alls I'm saying.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

My driving prowess is pretty amazing.

3. Frankly, I wouldn't give you 10 cents for either Fort Wayne or Terre Haute. They both suck.

But the News-Sentinel is a pretty good paper, and its preps coverage is excellent, much better than the J-G. I'm assuming preps is the N-S' niche.

And the time to Chicago is debatable, but Indy and Detroit also are easy drives from FW, as is Toledo. And Cincinnati isn't out of the question, either.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Not debatable if I'm driving.

And the N-S has a repuation of being the town's source for preps. But being a PM paper in this day and age limits their circulation.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with my occasional foe Pallister here. You can make Chicago in three hours going up U.S. 30 from Fort Wayne. Like he said, it moves pretty good until you get to the Region. Hell, I've made it from Indy to Chicago in 2 1/2.

N-S has always done a good job on preps. Way, WAY back when I worked in the Fort Wayne megalopolis (you know, Van Wert, Auburn, Bluffton, Ossian, Poneto, Huntington, Kendallville, etc.), it was true.

And yes, Terre Haute has an Olive Garden. And a Cheeseburger In Paradise, and a Buffalo Wild Wings, and nearly every other chain place you can imagine, most of which compare poorly to Terre Haute's local places, virtually none of which are on U.S. 40 or 41. Now if it would get a fucking Target and a Borders books ... :mad:

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Dan Quayle says he never made it to Chicago in three hours.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

Like pallister said, the city feels a lot smaller than it actually is. Fort Wayne doesn't overwhelm you with fun or culture or whatever. There are, however, some things to do.

There are festivals all summer long downtown, including the two-week long Three Rivers Festival in mid-July. That event is the city's pride and joy.

There are plenty of bars, clubs and even strip clubs to hit for those who are into that stuff and considering the job.

For the older person or family guy, there is a very large shopping mall on the north side and an huge (and relatively new) outdoor mall on the south side for the wife/husband and/or kids or maybe just you. And the Three Rivers Fest could be for you, too.

If you like to take some short trips or whatever, Chicago IS three hours away. Detroit is about three, too. Better yet, Indy is about two hours away. If you're into roller coasters, Cedar Point is a shade under three hours away.

Fort Wayne isn't the best and it isn't the worst. I've lived in vicinity for 15 years.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

As for the paper, PrepSports coverage is big-time for the department. For example, the past two events the N-S has covered have not been covered by the J-G. One was a cross country meet with five ranked girls teams and three ranked boys teams. The other was a volleyball match between two of the city's best, including a top ten school. Kind of a big deal, ya think?

And the difference between Prep football tabs released about three weeks ago is uncanny. The N-S absolutely took it to the J-G.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Here, here. Carry on the tradition.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Lots of meth labs in the nearby countryside, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

What journalist isn't?

12. NDub

NDub Guest

there are lots of illegals and terrorists, too, you stooge.

Draft saved Draft deleted