1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps- Wilmington Star News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PirateSports, Aug 20, 2010.

1. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

Saw this on journalismjobs.com...sounds like a good gig in a fun town.

The StarNews in Wilmington, NC is seeking a first-rate preps reporter who is ready to hit the ground running. Yes, you’ll be out at the field on a Friday night during the fall and covering the big stuff here and there (probably with a CoverItLive forum, too). Don’t expect, however, to just cover four games, write a couple of notebooks, make a couple of blog posts and call it a week. We expect our writer to be covering the hows and whys more than the Xs and Os. Enterprise has become critical to this position, and this person will continue our coverage of Title IX compliance in New Hanover County as well other major issues that affect high school athletes in our coverage area. We are looking for an adept investigative/multimedia/beat reporter for this essential beat.

What you'll do: • Coordinate coverage of five local high school conferences (about 20 schools) and four independent schools with sports editor and photo department. • Caretaker of StarNewsVarsity.com, our Varsity Now blog, @StarNewsVarsity twitter account and StarNewsVarsity Facebook page • Weekly video shows during football and basketball seasons. • Continue our great relationships with the NCHSAA, NCPreps.com and other newspapers in Eastern North Carolina • Regular beat reporting, as well as enterprise and investigative work.

Skills You’ll Need: • Cover It Live • Video (shooting for sure. Editing would be a plus) • Basic HTML knowledge • Audio & photo editing for blog posts

Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, clips and references to Sports Editor Dan Spears at dan.spears@starnewsonline.com

2. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

A great opportunity for someone who will have some pretty large shoes to fill.

3. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Dan's a great guy, and from what I understand also very good to work for. Pretty good job here.

4. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

My home town -- and my first paper, many many moons ago. Great place to live.

5. esport12

esport12 Member

What's the circulation here? 35k? 40k?

6. You're in the ballpark.

Wilmington's newsroom has undergone a good deal of change for the better in the last several years. They've switched to a universal desk, so reporters no longer get bogged down with heavy desk responsibilities. And the way they've engineered the newsroom structure and work flow helps direct everyone's attention toward publishing for the Web first. I liked the model when I was visiting last fall. It's the direction newsrooms should be looking in, but few that I've seen are actually making any progress in reaching. The Star-News has a nice track record of developing quality young reporters and seeing them move on to bigger jobs, with Rachel being the latest and most successful of the bunch. They give you the opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility, do great things with it, and position yourself for advancement.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Down to finalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted