1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps Under Attack

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

There was a time when I moved for my wife's training before I could land a full-time gig that I made almost full-time money stringing for just the local mid-sized metro daily. I got paid $50 a story regardless of what it was, plus mileage if I turned it in. I covered mostly preps, but did a little of everything. Six-inch, one quick call to the head coach for a D-II basketball advance was my favorite. Those built up the funds pretty quick and there were more of those than the high school baseball doubleheaders that would take hours. Does anyone even have stringing budgets any more?

2. Roscablo

This was always a hard balance for me. Well, not really hard, but definitely one to keep in mind. You sometimes would watch these amazing performances or know a kid was destined for at least D-1 success if not more, then talk to them and remember right away they were kids.

I had one editor who insisted we get quotes from both sides after a game if it was between two local teams. Not just coaches, that was fine, but actual players. Might not be the same as some other "pro" treatment of high school athletes, but it's not like they had a media obligation and I didn't exactly enjoy going up to a 15-year-old who just lost a big game. I think he was just wanting even coverage in case the parents or supporters of one side or the other claimed bias. Never had anyone else demand that.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Those were the days. I once got paid a healthy sum just to type in wrestling agate at states. Paid much more hourly than the full-time gig I’d just left. One editor in particular (he knows who he is, and I’ll always be grateful) used to set me up with those gigs, and it helped me get through the first couple years of college with relatively little debt.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Our policy was to prioritize players over coaches. I don't disagree. They played the game. Sometimes the losing coach will be a dick about it. But if you have developed rapport, you can usually get him to direct you to someone who can handle it. If you cover the team enough, you'll know who that kid is yourself.

If I had done features on kids or otherwise knew them already, they were typically more than happy to talk to me after tough losses.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I knew a guy whose breadwinner wife had it made and he was pretty much a stay-at-home dad on the other side of 40 years old. As good a gig as there is if you can find it.
    He had a burning passion for state tournaments of any kind and would rake in money during those months, stringing for what was then five or six papers in the region.
    When you get to the point that you're covering preps essentially for leisure, then you can say you've had a good run in the business.
    My error as a 23-year-old was thinking guys who are now my age, whether they had kids or not, find this interesting.
    I can say the answer is no, as a father, old guy and severely lapsed sports fan.

6. Roscablo

I get it's about the kids, and I never had anyone who really had a tough time with it. Or at least I could get a little something out of them. But I don't think that was this editor's motivation, he was the only one I ever had that had such a requirement, and I do think it can put the kids in a tough spot. That said, despite my comment about definitely realizing they were just kids when talking to them, many are and were much more capable of facing these types of things than the Average Joe.

7. ChickenDinner

ChickenDinner New Member

what should be under attack are those who think districts should be building stadiums that are better than many G5 fields

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I don't quote high school kids nearly as much as I used to, and here's why: I have and raised teenagers. Would you interview your kid for a story? Some kids are equipped to answer questions from a professional reporter, but many are not. I talk to kids after games more for understanding of something, but not to necessarily quote him/her.
    I have also had editors who wanted us to talk to both sides. That's fine in theory, but not always practical. I'd rather get depth from one or two particular subjects instead of asking questions of a player/coach while keeping an eye on the other team to make sure they don't bolt.

9. Dick Whitman

So don't quote those kids.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A favorite memory was about 20 years ago. Me and another guy are covering a boys’ soccer match. Coach is a crusty old dude, would smoke mid-match, was a purported drunk. I’m pretty sure he knew little about soccer (he also coached hockey). Other guy goes to speak to a player, coach goes ballistic. I thought there was gonna be a fist fight.

11. Dick Whitman

Having to battle through red tape to talk to players at the high school and college level soured me on sports writing, in many ways.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Isn't that what I just wrote?

Draft saved Draft deleted