1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps sports writer, The Santa Fe New Mexican

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jbarron, Jun 21, 2008.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Been there on vacation a few times. Beautiful area. Lots of good food. A little too expensive for my taste and wallet. The most fun time is during August and September when they have the Indian and Spanish markets, the Fiestas and the Hot-Air Balloon event in ABQ.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

This has always been one of the best papers in the state (if not THE best). The sports dept. has been damn good for years (even if understaffed and overworked). If you can land this out of college then you are straight solid. Just understand that 30K in Santa Fe is like 23 in the midwest. You can thank pinche Hollywood-types for that.

3. Then I could survive there. Now I just have to get the necessary experience and hope a position comes open when I do.

4. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I'm Mexican-American. I always thought it would be cool to work for the New Mexican.

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I understand that housing and gas is more expensive in Santa Fe, but how about groceries and other things like that? At 30k it seems like it could work out, but if it's the type of place where everything costs double it could be tough.

6. Judge Smails

Judge Smails New Member

Santa Fe's a great town. Very high altitude ... and very high prices. The median income is over 40K, just like Portland OR -- or double the Southeast. Triple Louisiana. Just kidding.

"Santa Fe is the artiest, sculpturest, weaviest and potteryest town on earth…"
    -- Journeys
    Jan Morris

Median rent is $700 - median home price tag is 228K.

If your significant other has a good job, you can make 30K work.

7. I've been to Santa Fe once, and it seemed to have a pretentious vibe to it. Perhaps because I was way hungover from the night before in Albuquerque. Or perhaps I didn't feel like gawking at filthy-rich baby boomers who were gawking at overpriced artwork.

8. thebigd

thebigd Member

It's a universal desk, at least for the present

9. jren3333

jren3333 New Member

Does anyone know how much rent a 3bd would be? And are there any Targets or big department stores in the area? Lastl, how's the move theatres and schools?

10. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

They have a huge Walmart and Target there. They just built a big, new movie theatre about two years ago. The schools are OK. They have two large public schools that play in the two larger classifications. They have I believe a catholic school, St. Michael's, which is very good in most of the sports they participate in. There is a lot of construction in the city because it has been growing a lot over the past couple of years and continues to grow.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

worst journalism idea, ever.

12. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

So that means the same person editing the city government meetings, etc. will be editing football gamers and whatnot?

Draft saved Draft deleted