1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps on your web site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by taz, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

1)large division ...
    2) preps staff does most of it. One online person updates the scoreboard, 2-3 clerks take the calls and feed scores to online. 2 preps reporters do the podcast after they finish their stories. Separate online staff does the production for the video preview, with one of the writers sitting in as analyst. Reporters do the blogs. Schools themselves do the team pages, with one online person monitoring. It's up to them whether they do it or not. About 100 schools, six counties. Five full-time reporters and one editor dedicated to preps.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

This is the most comprehenisve I've seen, with stories, blogs, slideshows, podcasts, and stats for games involving more than 100 high schools:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=SPORTS02

(Oh, and the Clarion-Ledger's is excellent, too)

Disclaimer: I also don't work for either place.

4. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

www.treasurevalleysports.com is good stuff from the Boise area

5. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I think the key to improving any coverage on the Web is to start slowly and not be discouraged by low Web numbers.

This fall, we started simple with a score list of Friday night games. When someone was done with their story, we'd throw it up there as well. We'd put roundups on there when finished. It took about six weeks to build up steam, but now that we are in the playoffs people are really checking it out.

I'm toying with the idea of adding exclusive online features, like community bloggers, etc. I think the good thing about the Web is that you can throw something out there without worrying about if it "wasting space."

6. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We also put scores up quarter-by-quarter, or oftener if our people call us. Last week the scoreboard was No. 2 for hits on the site that night.

We also have a prep blog that's a combined blog and message board. Of all the blogs set up here, it's getting about 85 percent of the traffic.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I really like this idea ... sounds like you're doing some good stuff.

8. taz

taz Member

Bump.

More and more, it seems like I'm seeing job postings specifically targeted for online/preps, such as:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=737737

Has anyone else noticed this trend, and is it happening where you're at?

9. Serious question for those who have done this:

Is it worth it? Does this coverage get a lot of hits? And, if it has, are you re-examining your coverage for the print version?

I'm just really skeptical that the effort is worth it outside of high school football and boys' basketball, but I can be convinced otherwise.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

A few posts back----"oftener"???

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

ocvarsity.com

12. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

yeah, like "make him an oftener he can't refuse"

Draft saved Draft deleted