1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps/multimedia reporter — The Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by zewing, Jun 4, 2014.

1. zewing

zewing Member

Hi all,
    It's not official yet, but I expect to have an opening in the next couple of weeks for a preps reporter here at The Bakersfield Californian. The position will cover quite a bit of writing and reporting work on our intensive preps beat, which often is the most important in our section. It also will have a heavy emphasis on video and other multimedia as we look to expand our BVarsity project with in-newsroom live webcasts, photo galleries, video stories and even live coverage of prep events.

The Californian is a 40,000-circulation newspaper in the San Joaquin Valley. Our sports department has three full-time reporters (including this position), one of whom doubles as an assistant sports editor, plus an agate clerk and regular freelance help. Our copy desk recently became universal but uses regular sports designers.

I will post the official job description when it becomes available, but in the mean time, feel free to email me your materials — including writing and multimedia samples, please — at zewing@bakersfield.com if you're interested in applying.

Zach Ewing
    Sports editor

2. AlexKHall

AlexKHall New Member

Thank you for posting this, Zach! Would this position include any Condors coverage in addition to preps reporting or would this strictly be a preps position?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The not-quite-Moddy seal, but a seal nonetheless, especially with the opportunity to work with Louis Amestoy.

4. zewing

zewing Member

Almost all preps. We have a full-time Condors writer, and you'll have your hands full most of the time anyway. That said, opportunities to do different things occasionally arise.
    This has been my position for the past six-plus years, and though 90 percent of what I did was preps, I've covered Condors (ECHL hockey), Blaze (High-A baseball), Jam (D-League basketball) and Cal State Bakersfield's Division I athletics program from time to time. There are also chances to cover local alumni who have moved to bigger stages, most notably NASCAR's Kevin Harvick, USC football's Cody Kessler, the Chargers' Ryan Mathews and the Raiders' Derek Carr.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. Very, very good people in Bako and, as Zach and MileHigh have noted, have embraced multimedia the last few years. A good sports town as well, dating back to when Frank Gifford was tearing up the gridiron for Bakersfield High.

6. zewing

zewing Member

Job has been officially posted. The description is below, and here's a quick update: I've received about 25 applications so far, most of them very strong. There is also an internal candidate. We will wait another week or so for any final applications and then move quickly towards interviews and a hire. Ideally I'd like to have someone in place by the end of July.

Sports Reporter

Our News Division is currently recruiting for a Sports Reporter.

The sports reporter will be responsible for coordinating high school sports coverage and community sports coverage for the daily newspaper, online and in video. The candidate will be expected to cover games, write features, compile top 10, top 20 and top 25 lists for respective sports, write occasional features and profile athletes weekly. The job also requires use of video, social media and basic photography to enhance coverage for print, online and other video products, including daily webcasts.

Qualifications include:

Bachelor's degree in journalism or related experience.

1 year as a daily sports reporter, but will consider well-qualified graduates.

Advanced knowledge of AP style.

Some pagination experience preferred

Experience with video and photo strongly desired

Valid drivers license with acceptable DMV record

Interested individuals should submit a resume/application to:
    The Bakersfield Californian

ATTN: Human Resources – Sports Reporter

PO Box 440

Bakersfield, CA 93302-0440

Fax 661 395-7484

E-mail jobs@bakersfield.com

All applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug screen, physical and a background investigation.

Equal Opportunity Employer

Draft saved Draft deleted