1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps/GA writer, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jeff Gluck, Aug 16, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Local colleges writer, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

I'm sure a dude got gunned down at the bus stop long before the last night there, too. Just sayin'.

2. iancahir

iancahir Member

Don't forget the time in the old building when rats chewed through the main wires that connected us to the AP and also connected the front-end system to the old hastech pagination system. We actually typed straight onto pages. The next morning, the techs found the chewed wires... and 3 dead rats.

Good times. Crazy Makeup Lady, Screaming Aisan Woman and Sidewalk Jesus are missed.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Don't remember them (I think it was before my time), but when I interviewed there, I saw guys drinking 40s on my way from the Radisson. And buck, the dude was shot after we got out of there, one of the 56 (or was it 58?) murders last year.
    Now that we've scared off anyone who might be interested, seriously, the new building is way nice.

4. Re: Local colleges writer, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

I know a lot of you guys are fondly remembering good times. I do have a serious question though. I'd seen on one of the news magazine shows or a news report that San Bernardino lead the nation in some bad crime statistic. As in it was the unsafest area in blah, blah, blah. Don't remember exactly what.

I know this position though is based out of the Ontario office though. So I'm seriosly asking those familiar with the area: How unsafe are the areas that you would be traveling to if you were based out of the Ontario office and how unsafe are the areas around there to live?

5. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Oh come on, we suddenly think this is like South Central or something? Like you're going to get shot if you go to a game? That's crazy. You're just as likely to be a crime victim here as you are anywhere else. I've never felt threatened here...although if I disappear from the board, we'll know I just jinxed myself.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Like anywhere, there's areas you want to avoid and there's areas you want to REALLY avoid in San Berdoo. (Stay away from the ghetto after dark.)

Ontario's not a bad place to live at all, and, again, more affordable than you'd think. Redlands is a nice place to live. Rancho's fine. Chino/C-Hills is very nice. We've got a couple (actually, 3) current sports staffers living on the north end of San Berdoo, within 5 miles of the new office, and none of them feel "unsafe."

Gluck can tell you more, but I don't think any of our writers have ever felt "unsafe" traveling to games or covering anything.

Yeah, the crime element is there in the city, but it's not "unsafe" to work here.

7. iancahir

iancahir Member

Buck and Gluck are right. It's the meth capital of the world, and it's seen like 40 percent of the population on some kind of financial assistance, but the funny thing is that if you avoid downtown, you're mostly good (and the arden-guthrie area). Highland is nice, Redlands is mostly nice, and the area by Cal State is the new growth nice area. And if you live by Cal State (where the new shiny building is) you can just avoid downtown altogether and do all your entertainment/shopping in Ontario/Rancho.

Now, if you want hookers, Base Line between 9th and Waterman is the place to be. And I remember the good times with the gunfire at my grandmother's house just off of 5th and Mount Vernon. :)

See Gluck? I don't always go negative on the place!

8. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

All right, Ian! You're the man...I guess 8)

9. iancahir

iancahir Member

well, no. no I'm not.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If you're north of Little Mountain, you're certainly more safe than south of it. There's problems everywhere, but the differences between San Bernardino and Rancho/Ontario are like night and day. That said, this is a good job.

11. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Buckweaver...4,000-plus posts??? I think we need to send you to SportsJournalists.com rehab.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Or, since he seems to have so much time on his hands, send him to Trona to cover a football game.

Draft saved Draft deleted