1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps Football Questions and Venting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Italian_Stallion, Sep 27, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

When I was in college, me.

2. jps

jps Active Member

I had a kid in college that didn't have a computer. used him to cover afternon stuff or local stuff. he went back to campus and filed from the computer lab. it can be done.

3. agree with all the air card recommendations. they're also fairly cheap now. incredibly useful and they work virtually everywhere

but if you can't get one and you're going to a site you're not sure about, go early, scout out nearby wireless options and make sure you have a plan b in case you can't file from the stadium. don't get caught scrambling on deadline. plan ahead. one of our prep guys drives around the neighborhood near the HS and finds an unsecured wireless signal and will just go back there, park in front of the house, and file

just plan ahead

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I did some research. For about $50, I can buy an aircard. The service is about $500 a year. It's a great suggestion because it solves the problem. But it's not going to happen. I guess I'll learn how long it takes to dictate a 10-inch story and agate.

5. air cards are great. makes my job easy. but they don't always work either if you're really out in the country. i always try to drive around and find a wifi hotspot if i'm in a place where it won't work or as a backup plan. you can plan ahead and search at a place like this http://www.jiwire.com/ or find a hotel/motel, fast food/coffee place you know has free or pay for or go to a place like a cell phone store that usually has free wifi (and they usually don't turn it off when they close).

and if you have att home internet, there service at mcdonalds is now free. mcdonalds lets you search its website for its wifi places too. wish you better luck next time.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

My first option when on the road is to scout the neighborhood or school for a Wi-Fi connection. 50 percent of the time, there will be one.

If that doesn't work, I send through the cell phone. Forget the air card. The modem function is more than enough to send a story. And it's damn easy once you figure it out. It has yet to fail me.

If all that fails, I have local dialup access numbers ready for that site. Find the AD or a phone (fax machine line works fine) and go to town. Old skool.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Re: dictation. How many shops have so many people on a Friday night that one can be spared to take dictation? Designers and/or copy editors are busy. Phone guys are, well, taking scores and highlights. If one of them has to take a story, that gums up the works.
    The solution, as noted, is better communication before the game. Perhaps starting with the SE assigning his staffers to the most difficult assignments, not a stringer without all the technical tools.

8. jps

jps Active Member

this is exactly why I avoid hiring stringers that can't send in their story.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

well hello, mr. policeman

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

McDonalds and Super8 are great for free wi-fi. Just sit in the parking lot and file.

11. jps

jps Active Member

I've done it, too. no worries.
    you can also stop into a hotel and sometimes sweet talk your way into using their signal for 5 minutes if it's secured. there's a web site out there, too (more than one, I'm sure) that I just don't recall top of my head that lists free wireless signals in every state.

12. Why, God, WHY can't the monkeys in the office or our stringers get a boxscore right?

Four weeks into the season and we're still having coaches and principals calling us wanting to know why we gave John Smith 4 catches for 199 yards when he has a broken penis and has been out for the season since Week 1. We've got Mom and Dad calling us wanting a story reprinted because the stringer spelled their kid's fucking name wrong.

They are called ROSTERS!!! We have multiple copies in the office. You, stringer. You were there in the office before the game. I fucking saw you. Ask one of us and we'll get you the fucking rosters!!!

This week an added bonus. A completely busted headline. Wrong team wins.

FUUUUUCK!!!! I'm doing my job. Why can't anyone else do theirs?

Draft saved Draft deleted