1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps Football Questions and Venting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Italian_Stallion, Sep 27, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just another reason I'm glad we do not have a Saturday edition.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nothing is more stressful then being on deadline, relying on quotes, having to fight traffic, find wireless, bank on your computer working. It sucks.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Back in the days of dial-up internet access, assuming you were actually able to find the proper interface cable, you could use your cell phone as a modem. Now, if I were in that situation I'd have a USB wireless card.

That said, this thread reminds me that I don't miss any aspect of Friday night prep football coverage (coverage or desk).

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Re: those wireless cards. GREATEST THING EVER. I know Sprint makes one that works with Macs (I used one last night). Will it be that much cheaper to stick with a Verizon one and not use another company? Also, if you're a freelancer, is this something YOU can write off as a business expense?

5. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I'm getting here kind of late, but honestly, if you have to drive 10 minutes for a McD's, you're probably better off dictating. I dictated all through college when stringing, and after you get used to it, it's pretty easy.

Also, stay in touch with your editor at all times when you get delayed. Although, don't let them get too mad at you, a lot of guys have horror stories about a stringer sending in four sentences without quotes, or just not showing up. So your effort should always be appreciated.

6. jps

jps Active Member

just don't make a habit of dictation. hate taking it back at the office when there are 10 other things that need to be done and it can take 20 minutes sometimes to get those things in. frankly, if you dictated to me all through college while stringing, well, you wouldn't have strung all through college. find a way to send or I'll find a more reliable stringer.

7. prezclinton

I would have told you to buy me a laptop then.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Learn from a shitty situation, communicate with your staff and be sure everyone is on the same page next time.

These things happen sometimes and they're not fun by any means.

Definitely get an aircard.

9. jps

jps Active Member

like I said ... maybe it's just me. but a stringer that can't actually send me their story isn't worth the hassle. get the equipment to do the job or you're not doing it for me.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How does someone call into the office and not ask for the person in charge?

11. prezclinton

Do you have quality stringers knocking down your door or something? I know it's a lucrative job and all.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No offense, but who today doesn't own a laptop or can't get one for a few hundred bucks that can send a story via email?

Draft saved Draft deleted