1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prepare to cry in public...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MertWindu, Apr 3, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Or at home, for the lucky ones among you who haven't gone in to work yet.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I saw that on the news the other night. It really was a touching moment (the look on the kid's face ... well ...), but I kind of felt like it was cheapened by having news cameras there. Something about bringing them along kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I saw it on TV the other night, with the mute on. I knew the details.

I'm still tearing up.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm with you, pern.

I loved seeing it, but it felt somehow wrong to see it, too.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Besides, it was already posted here by Old Tony.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/39412/

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

People tend not to click on tony's threads, and anyway, this is worth seeing twice.

It does raise some journalistic questions, in addition to being a water-cooler type story.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think it was the best "welcome home" story in a while. Very brief, but with tons of emotion. It was like something you'd find in a movie.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm apparently a cold-hearted bastard. Cute story, but I didn't come close to crying.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Yup, it's gettin' awfully dusty in here. :'(

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

good for that family, but it happens all the time. i didn't know how i'd react, especially considering my 6-year old niece just got her daddy home from iraq after 6 months and her mom was in cuba for 8 months recently.

7 months isn't really all that long for a deployment (my dad was in the navy, and i can think of five times he was gone 6 months or longer). get used to it, kid, daddy's in the navy. he'll be gone a bit.

i really didn't mean all that to sounds as harsh as it did. but, well, you know... good for that family and may there be many more family reunions real soon

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There was one locally a few weeks ago where the kid was in a play and dad walked in when he was on stage. I think the conspiracy theorists need to look at the Kleenex really hard ...

12. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Incredibly moving. Also makes me think of all the little kids for whom there isn't going to be such a reunion, which makes me mad.

Draft saved Draft deleted