1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prepare for fees on most credit card transactions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 20, 2013.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You must not live near a Costco. In my area, that's often the main reason people even have American Express. It's the only reason I use it. AmEx is the only card accepted at Costco.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They have charge cards and credit cards. Charge cards require you to pay in full each month; credit cards allow you to carry a balance. Annual fees range somewhere between $450 and $0, I believe.

3. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Yep. That's always been my rule on every card anyway. If I can't pay it off at the end of the month, I'm not using the card.

No annual fee on my Amex. And, yeah, I use it at Costco as well.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to know how much I charge on my AMEX in the course of 12 months, but I love that check they send me every spring.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have had an AMEX card since the 70s and have never received anything back from them. Epic consumer fail, I suppose.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I think the count in our house now is two televisions, two desktops, two laptops, two iPads and assorted iPods bought with AmEx points. That doesn't include the retired electronics taking up space in the basement.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My Discover gets me the same 5 percent cash back. 8)

So I think the moral of the story here is: most of us don't notice other people's credit cards.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What do you get from Amex that is worth a $450 annual fee? Or any annual fee?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You get free admission to Delta's Sky Lounge, I believe, which costs $450 annually on its own. (It also used to get you into Continental's club prior to their merger with United.) I think it also gets you into some foreign carriers' lounges.

You get concierge service. First crack at concert tickets. Invitations to private events. Etc.

Not really worth it if you don't travel, and/or don't have the money/inclination to spend on other expensive events. But, if you do, it's worth it.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Also gets you into American Airlines clubs as well as gold level memberships with car rental companies. Will also cover $200
    a year of checked bagage fees, 4 pm check out at Starwoods hotels and automatic upgrades. As YF mentioned well worth it
    if you travel.

YF to answer your question I typically transfer my Amex points to my Starwoods card and use to book hotels. Transfer rate is
    not great and there are work arounds but I'm lazy. Typically the cat 5 Starwoods properties and above want 50 - 70,000
    points for 4 nights and they provide a 5th night free.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Aside from other benefits including free checked bags adn upgrades, the AmEx Delta card also comes with a fee companion ticket every yea,. well worth the $95 annual fee. FF points for every purchase can be exchanged into other programs

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I have the JetBlue AmEx card because I used to fly regularly between DCA and BOS. Now that I'm back up here I don't fly as much, but it still works because JB or a partner flies everywhere I want to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted