1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prepare for fees on most credit card transactions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 20, 2013.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

As the story notes, this is very consumer-unfriendly; I see this going nowhere. I'm willing to wager that if I go buy a sofa and I tell the salesperson I'm charging this and I'm paying the same rate as cash, they'll take the offer. That'll become store policy the first time they realize there's $1,000 walking out the door.

All the credit card companies have to come to grips that there's a new way to buy things that doesn't involve any of them and it's only going to become more widespread.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What way is that?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's great for the big-ticket items where there's some flex. But think about Target or the grocery store.

There's a huge grocery-store chain where I grew up -- actually it was one grocery store when I was there but has expanded throughout a 150-mile radius since then -- and they still don't take credit cards. They are one of the most successful businesses I have ever seen, in large measure because their prices are lower.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A grocery store that takes cash only would need some very low prices for me to become a regular shopper there. Like incredibly low.

There are probably a handful of places -- maybe a dozen -- that I still go to despite them taking cash only. None on a regular basis, though.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Most stores that I go to seem like they are happier taking credit cards and
    not having to deal with the cash. Returning something on a credit card is
    a lot easier than it is for something you paid cash for.

Can't see this going anywhere.

Amex charges stores a bigger percentage than Visa or Mastercard.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone use American Express.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Really?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've known one guy who used American Express regularly. He was a complete asshole who enjoyed calling and telling them not to pay the restaurant bill because the service was terrible. It wasn't that he was really picky, this was actually his plan before he left the house to eat.

Don't know if it actually works, but he swore by it.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hang out with me and you will. It's the only card - aside from debit - that I use.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Sounds like a peach

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Could one vendor, say Food Lion, advertise that they choose not to add on the extra cost?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There are already fees on credit card transactions.

Merchants already pass along the swipe fees in the cost of their goods -- under the assumption that a good percentage of people will choose a credit or debit card for its convenience.

The only thing this could possibly change is a landscape in which some retailers charge lower prices for those who pay cash -- if some merchants want to offer differential pricing.

I really doubt that is going to happen, though. Too much of a hassle to run most retail businesses that way, and you run a huge risk of running customers away.

There are multiple factors that go into pricing products. Just based on scale, a big box retailer can still pass along swipe fees making it look like everyone pays the same price, and their prices will still be lower than the cash price a smaller retailer trying that price differentiation offers.

For most consumers, though, they won't understand the underlying dynamics. They will see it as, "Retailer A is charging me a fee to use my credit card, while Retailer B isn't." When they both really are.

Draft saved Draft deleted