1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prepaid iPhones coming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Cricket and Virgin Mobile announced prepaid iPhones. While the phones are pricey at $500-$550, Virgin Mobile is offering service (including data and texting) at $30 per month. I call that a potential game changer in the cell phone industry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/virgin-mobile-gets-prepaid-iphone-starting-at-549-for-phone-30-per-month-for-service/2012/06/07/gJQAGjuuKV_story.html

The article is a bit inaccruate when it states Sprint's 3G network the iPhone uses is slower than AT&T and Verizon's. The problem is the iPhone isn't a 4G phone, and Sprint's 3G network seems to be better in bigger cities than the larger wireless companies.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

You're just getting that now? I've had a prepaid iPhone for almost a year with a similar plan.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The U.S. wireless industry is a bit of a mess.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm switching to the iPhone from a Droid. But I have to wait until September, so I'm not forced to pay a gazillion dollars for it. Love that!

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'll get one from Virgin Mobile in September. The $650 for the iPhone 4S is steep at first, but you save almost $800 over two years with the $30 plan. It only includes 300 minutes, but I can just download Talkatone or some other app that I can make free Wi-Fi calls with using my Google Voice account.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

$650? I paid less than $200 for mine through AT&T.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Freqposter just drove to Barnes and Noble and doesn't know why

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

But your monthly plan cost would be much more than the Virgin Mobile $30/month cost.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

How much do you think the price will drop by Sept?

P.S. Virgin coverage is great in the District. Your mileage may vary out in Fairfax.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Here's the math on why it's cheaper in the long run to go the prepaid route.

http://www.cultofmac.com/172046/why-your-next-iphone-should-be-prepaid-chart/

The $30/month Virgin plan for 300 minutes would save $1,000 compared with AT&T.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

It's always cheaper to go the prepaid route. I can't believe some people still haven't figured it out. Another reason why it pisses me off to high heaven when shitty news reports don't hesitate to claim no-contract phones are aimed at those with "low incomes and poor credit." My income is certainly not low and my credit is excellent. I just don't like overpaying for a product nor being contractually obligated to anything, which is why I'm not married.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Nancy Sebring is wondering why she didn't get one.

Draft saved Draft deleted