1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Writer, Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Was there now?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You're lucky these days to get a rejection e-mail. As with any job opening, don't worry about the ones you don't hear back from.

3. writingump

writingump Member

Yeah, it's a sad but obvious trend. Not just with jobs, but with asking about things like wanting to correspond on a game or event. Instead of saying, "thanks but we don't have the budget," they'll just ignore you.

4. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

I never heard anything back -- more than eight years experience, regional and state writing awards, freelanced for national mags, having a book published by University of Nebraska Press this fall, and I can't even get a form rejection? Shows you the state of the industry. That being said, the Trib should be making an outstanding hire considering the number of applicants and the current job market.

5. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Don't feel bad soccer fan, my resume was good enough to attract multiple interviews in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh, and phone interviews in Phoenix and Orlando, and I couldn't get a sniff on this one either.

6. Provonian

Provonian New Member

I should just let this thread die, but I'm confused..

I just got an email from the editors at the Trib saying they would "contact me soon" if I made it to the interview stage. but the reports on this thread seem to be that they have moved well on past that stage. Any ideas on what this could mean? This business is so confused

Any thoughts or ideas? Maybe I'm worrying over nothing. Or maybe I was simply rejected so handily that they d don't have the heart to drop me so hard.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Your options would seem to be:

1) Continue to wait in expectation of an interview
    2) Continue to wait but don't expect an interview
    3) E-mail the Trib and get an actual answer

I know which one I'd choose.

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

So, as it turns out, my friend DID make the cut. So those of you waiting on word, keep waiting. Seems like you'll hear one way or the other (though you'd think they'd be done with that fairly soon).

Anyway, we've heard the city is great the hiring process has been a bit convoluted. Any info on the job itself? How are the people in charge? Tight ship? Good guys? Any stamps of approval/disapproval?

9. This one's down to finalists.....interviews being conducted this week

10. And... a hire has been made. Not sure who, though.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to relocate my family and been battling papers hiring locals over out-of-region applicants. Frustrating, but I can understand wanting someone a bit closer and hopefully more familiar with the sports scene.

12. A hire has indeed been made

Draft saved Draft deleted