1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Writer, Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jan 14, 2010.

1. dm19

dm19 Member

I think if you can get a job at one of the few random openings metro dailies have these days, consider yourself awesome at your job.

2. the champ

the champ Member

It asks for just a resume, no clips. A weeding out process?
    Also, where was this opening first published?

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I first saw it circulating as part of an email group. I suspect that might be where Moddy plucked it from.

4. LemMan

LemMan Member

Clips should be a given - unless the ad says DO NOT SEND CLIPS.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Perhaps this means the SLT is not looking for anyone -- not from outside the paper or the chain, anyway -- to fill the position at all?

6. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

SLC is a great place to live. It's got most of the big-city amenities without the big-city price. It can get over 100 in the summertime, but usually hits over 90 for like 2-3 weeks in July as it's hottest. While it can get close to zero, the usual norm is somewhere around 20-30 in the daytime. One thing I love about it is the access to the outdoors is VERY close from anywhere in Salt Lake Valley. If you hate the cold, I'd still apply: any day that's 100% sunny while 25 degrees outside beats subzero temps, or a bazillion inches of snow.

The preps beat has a lot of good schools to cover, but it has had a writer or two leave for another paper. I'm sure that a job in a mid-level market, in this economy, would be a must-apply for. Good luck to whoever gets it!

7. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

It's on the APSE board as well.

8. Assuming this is accurate:
    how does one go from the PREPS person in Salt Lake to ESPN mag?

9. by being talented at what she does

10. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

And it also doen't hurt know have some connections. It's all about networking, along with being talented like Maggie is.

11. Lions Suck

Lions Suck New Member

It also doesn't hurt to be a female and not a white male in a company (ESPN) that loves to promote its diversity.

12. This is a good job posting at a good paper. Please take the B.S. somewhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted