1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Writer, Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Coldest it gets is usually just below zero and that is only for a few days in the year. 60 inches of snow on average, with the ski resorts 20-30 miles away getting 500 inches or more.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Little bit less snow than out here. But our snow is better. :)

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Salt Lake is one of our underrated communities. Nice place. Not for me, but a nice place.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Utah has its reputation, of course, and it's not undeserved. But SLC is actually one of the more liberal places around -- quite gay-friendly, among other things. And for a while, the mayor was a guy named Rocky Anderson, who made a bit of a name for himself calling out W.

They've also gone back on a lot of the insane alcohol laws, in particular the private-club BS.

Wish I'd gotten around to spending some time there when I lived out that way.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

What's the stability of the paper...i.e. will the position be laid off in six months?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Two-newspaper town. Tribune is owned by Singleton, who won the last two-newspaper-town war. Sigh.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yeah, but the LDS Church owns the D-News, so they aren't leaving the market anytime soon. As for the liquor laws, the private club laws were repealed last year.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Just wanna clarify that's what I meant by 'gone back on'. Rolled back, gotten rid of, etc.

(Although at the same time they got rid of the private-club laws, they made it so that alco-pops can only be sold in liquor stores. So there's a give-and-take there, for sure.)

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My apologies. My eyes have been playing tricks on me tonight. Probably shouldn't post tired.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Trying not to discourage anyone from applying, because I think it's a great job ... even if it's the second best sports section (especially preps coverage) in town ;)

But the SL Tribune parent company is now seeking bankruptcy protection http://is.gd/6m0ry

That said, the report states the newspapers will not be affected.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So Singleton still controls everything? Why is a bankruptcy filing needed if all its lenders approve of it? I guess the unions can be forced to sign on to cuts under the threat of the contracts being wiped out in bankruptcy.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

You never know in these tough times. But I do have a few friends who work at the paper and they really enjoy it, along with living in SLC.

Draft saved Draft deleted