1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Writer, Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Crimson21, May 16, 2008.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My favorite Wilco song. Awesomeness.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Sounds like the ad should specify: Single guys with no prospects of getting a girlfriend and/or married and having kids will be given priority.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Time for me to start packing then

4. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

The best way I can put things is this:
    The staff has been through a tough period with changes at the top, but now there's a consistency and trust that wasn't there this time last year. The economics of the newspaper industry don't allow paradise at any job, but it's better than trolling out 40 pages a week for a group of weeklies, or working for a 18,000 circulation that has no commitment to sports. It's a good gig, especially for the prep writer who sees some of the best prep talent in the country in every sport.

5. JMB,

Along with Wilco, Sheryl Crow and Jimmy Buffett, can you name any other bands that have name dropped Pensacola in a song?

The theme to "Pensacola Wings of Gold" doesn't count.

Thanks

6. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

Hell, I live here and I didn't even know any of those songs. I guess I have to expand my iPod beyond REO Speedwagon and Hannah Montana.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Not JMB, but I can think of a couple ...

George Strait, "If You Can Do Anything Else"
    Would you like to live in Houston
    Where the cowboys come to town
    Or maybe Pensacola
    Where the sun shines all year 'round

Run D.M.C., "Take the Money and Run"
    Butter said promise me I won't see jail
    Spoonie want a watch and a brand new cell
    Butter and Gina moved to Pensacola
    Spoonie got a Roley and a Motorola

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fingers in the dike are fingers in the dike.

9. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

Pensacola, Joan Osborne
    "Well, I found him in Pensacola in a trailer in the sand,
    the man from the picture, creased and yellow in my hand,
    creased and yellow in my hand.
    He was squinting and stubbled and standing in the door.
    He said, 'If you've come to take the car away,
    I don't have it anymore, I don't have it anymore'

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

One interesting fact about Pensacola that I've discovered during some fiddling around on the Internets: Pensacola is almost exactly the same distance from New Orleans as it is from Tallahassee. That'll give you an idea how long the panhandle is and how far west Pensacola is along it.

11. goneup

goneup Member

I never watched "Pensacola Wings" except the part my wife pointed out that showed mountains in the background. As a native of that area (about 30 miles east), I can absolutely assure everyone that there are NO mountains in the Panhandle, except in Jason Blair and Sheryl Crow's versions.
    Aside from that, I don't know squat about the paper, but I can vouch for the high-caliber athletes and enthusiastic following that a prep writer at this place would cover.
    *An earlier post mentioned athletes from P'cola and left out the great Roy Jones.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

the publisher there is one of the best I've ever worked for. Though i think he still has a couple of dvds i loaned him. bastard!

Draft saved Draft deleted