1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep writer, Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Oct 5, 2007.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

No worries. It's a Hope (Solo) job but we aren't putting our writers in a position to fail. When I say 32 area high schools, you have to understand that Kern County is the size of Rhode Island or Connecticut. We have 14 city schools that we focus primarily on with 18 outlying schools. Outlying schools are in Mojave Desert towns and near Edwards AFB.

We have a network of 4-5 stringers, plus a GA reporter, who will help cover games but we rely on call-ins from coaches for those outer fringe schools.

There were two prep reporters a few years back but the No. 2 position was cut more than two years ago. Long before I arrived.

Also this is a huge racing community, Kevin Harvick and Casey Mears are both from Bakersfield. We have a dirt track, a half-mile paved oval, which be finished in 2008, and a facility for drag racing. I don't know if that's a selling point but I'll throw it out there.

2. Sorry if I gave out bad info. Like Hoosier said, more than two years ago there were two prep guys. I didn't realize a cut had been made since then.

On a different note, the SE, Tony Lacava, is without a doubt the nicest guy I've met in the biz.

3. PinSuperfly

PinSuperfly New Member

SportsHack, quit giving out bad info. This is at least the fourth time you've given out erroneous info about a job. Worry about the rag you work at and quit offering insight when you have none. Understand?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shouldn't you be stalking and trying to out another member again, jackass?

5. Don't know why you have a beef there, Mr. Pi.

I offered up my info based on what was happening 2 1/2 years ago when I worked in Bakersfield. Things have changed. I apologized.

If you have some sort of personal grudge with me, please feel free to let me in on it, because otherwise, I'm totally lost on that.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

either the guy doesn't know about blue font or is a douche nozzle. don't sweat it.

7. This is a good job. Sucks that you have to live in one of California's "tucky towns."

Bakerstucky.

8. gauchoguy16

gauchoguy16 Member

Yes, when I worked there in this position there was another prep writer working with me.

And, I totally agree about Lacava. Best. Dude. Ever.

9. PinSuperfly

PinSuperfly New Member

The Good Doctor is a Bad Surgeon. I'd like to tell you which hospital the dork works at but I wouldn't want anyone to accidentally check into the disease-filled dump he calls a workplace.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Are you so ignorant about this profession as to not realize that The Good Doctor is a Hunter S. Thompson reference? Perhaps you're the one who should get out of the profession.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey pin, the jerk store is calling.

12. Who's the editor there?

Draft saved Draft deleted