1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep writer, Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Oct 5, 2007.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

The position isn't officially open but our current high school sports reporter gave his two weeks Friday. We're looking to move quickly once we've been given the OK.

Position covers 32 Kern County high schools with another expected to open in 2008. Duties include: coordinate weekly prep coverage with ASE, write 2-3 game stories a week, along with previews/capsules for HS football. Will also help maintain high school presence on award-winning bakersfield.com (blogs, podcasts, videos).

Bakersfield is the site for CIF state wrestling meet in March. We put together a preview section and wrap for each day of the event. Also, coordinate coverage for high school football preview section. This year's preview was 24-page section: http://shopping.bakersfield.com/SS/Page.aspx?&secid=32359&pagenum=1

Bakersfield area high school/pro standouts include: Frank Gifford, Joey Porter, David Carr, Brock Marion. List also includes NBA first-rounder Robert Swift and major leaguer Phil Dumatrait.

Keep in mind applicants will need to:
    Pass drug screen
    DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and background check

The Bakersfield Californian is a family-owned newspaper. It is a guild paper with pay based closely on experience.

If you have questions, reply to post or send private message. I'll post official job listing once we're cleared.

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

don't know anything about the sports department, but the paper is pretty cutting edge in its design schemes.

hated it at first, but now I love it.

3. Theres always a catch, isn't there?

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I can't say the same for the design. I wanted to like it, gave it a shot, but kept coming back to the fact it's visual diaherra.

5. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

That's quite a list of proffesional athletes from Bakersfield. I would be all over a Phil Dumatrait story. Sweet. I would add Kevin Harvick to the list as well. Actually, I know very little about this paper. But do know Hoosier is a nice guy, having worked at two of his previous stops. Though he was long gone by the time I made it to those papers.

6. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

An area that large, with 32 high schools, and the paper has only one prep writer?

7. Unless something has changed in the last two years, the paper has two prep writers and a GA reporter who does a fair share as well.

8. gauchoguy16

gauchoguy16 Member

When I worked there four years ago I absolutely loved it and am still somewhat saddened I left. Sports editor, publisher, managing editor, news editor and all the way on down to a little high schools reporter peon like me all were great, fantastic people to deal with.

If anyone wants info please feel free to PM me.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've always heard very good things about this paper and Bakersfield is not as bad a place to live as a lot of folks will make it sound.

Too bad this opened up in the middle of high school football.

10. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

This isn't a design job. So let's not get into an argument about the merits of the L.

I've seen my share of diarrhea, and this is far from it.

Also if you're going to bash...let's use Spell Check.

11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

If you want to look like you work at a clown college, apply for this gig.

12. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

HL,
    How many preps writers are there? Would this new hire be flying solo? or, as sportshack stated, are there two prep guys (or gals)?

32 high schools seems like a pretty big beat for one writer to cover well.

Draft saved Draft deleted