1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep writer at Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Shaggy, May 16, 2007.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

The Eastside is much better based solely on the fact that the Eastside schools have much more funding available (and have for a longer period of time). That said, there are strong city schools in some sports, strong north-suburb schools in some and strong south-suburb schools in others. It depends on the season and specific sport. That being said, across the board, the Eastside schools have a strong hand up on the city schools.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What's the cost of living in the Grunge Capital?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The cost of living is extremely high. My brother bought a house 2 years ago in Kenmore - north of Lake Washington - for $240k. It is all of 1,400 square feet.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

He'd pay double now.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was just gonna say, until Claude beat me to it, that he got a heck of a deal if it's in any kind of a neighborhood.

$240k for 1400 SF in any PNW metro area is a very, very good price these days. (I'm not including Pullman/Moscow as a metro area, although prices there have escalated as well).

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's a pretty good neighborhood, but he has had to do a lot of work on the house. Also, Kenmore isn't exactly the most desirable place to live around there is it? It was always considered the shitty part of town when I was growing up. Of course, I haven't lived there in 10 years, so maybe things have changed.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Once you get out of the I-5 corridor, it's not out of the question to find something in that range.

8. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Seems to me, anywhere in a 50-mile radius of the Space Needle is pretty desirable these days.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

OK...all I did was point out the *fact* that the Seattle Times is advertising this to minorities.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, things have changed apparently because I remember no one wanted to live in most of Renton or Kent when I was growing up.
    And, I talked to my brother and his house is only 1,100 square feet. He has been told it is worth $345,000 now.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tru dat. But then you're no longer in a metro area.

You can find that price in Spokane.

Anyhow, the Times is a good paper and Eastside preps is a ogod gig.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Really, no one still wants to live in Renton or Kent. They've just come to realize it's unavoidable.

Draft saved Draft deleted