1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Volleyball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fourcorners, Nov 12, 2010.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I disagree, to a point. If the setter is the quarterback of your offense, her assist total is akin to saying, "Podunk's QB went 6-for-17 passing for 150 yards." It might not say as much, but it is the hub of the offense.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If two players go up for a block, and both have a hand that ends the point on said block, each player receives half a block.

So yes, a player can finish with 3 1/2 blocks, or 1/2 a block.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Technically yes, but there is a separate stat category for block assists, so you would never see 3 1/2 on the stat sheet.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The second player does not have to touch the ball to get a block assist, as long as both players go for it.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll agree that service points can be overrated sometimes, but if it's a long run and/or has lots of aces, it's worth mentioning. I've been doing it this way: "Podunk put together eight straight points during Jane Jumpserve's serve in the second set. Spiker had three straight aces and Sally Spiker had two kills ..."

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

So it's BOTH players getting a block assist? Or one gets a block and the other gets the assist?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From the NCAA stat manual.

Article 1. A block is awarded when a player(s) blocks the ball that comes off
    an attack into the opponent’s court, leading directly to a point. There are three possible outcomes when a player(s) is blocking:
    (1) The player(s) is credited with a successful block solo or block assist. (2) The player is charged with a block error. (3) The attack attempt is deflected off the blocker’s hands and is kept in play
    by one of the teams. Article 2. A block solo (BS) is awarded when a single player blocks the ball
    into the opponent’s court leading directly to a point. That player must be the only blocker attempting to block the ball.

Article 3. A block assist (BA) is awarded when two or three players block the ball into the opponent’s court leading directly to a point. Each player blocking receives a block assist, even if only one player actually makes contact with the ball.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Great moogly googly. They don't even have to touch the ball?

Actually, that makes things simpler. One of the things that slow me down when I'm keeping blocks is trying to figure out which of two players touched the ball on a block. Now I don't have to do that because they both get a block assist.

So next year, I get to apply:
    1) Fewer blocks in total (Because blocks must result in points).
    2) Block assists.

But I'm still not going to keep digs. I just don't keep track of those very well.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

@ hondo

I think it's acceptable to have a barrier what's included in a typical gamer and doing an investigative piece.

I don't see the need to embarrass a kid by singling him out by name for fumbling at the 2-yard line to cough the game away...you can still describe what happened by saying Franklin High fumbled at the 2-yard line in the closing seconds.

But I have no problem delving into an investigative piece especially when it involves poor sportsmanship, etc.

It's the difference between making a physical mistake, and making a conscious decision to break a rule or behave poorly.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And let's not pretend that journalism never, ever accounts for people's feelings in deciding what to report. News reporting has a whole list of ethical standards devoted to that concept.

11. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

WHAT!?! How the hell else am I supposed to get excited about volleyball? I have been tempted to walk out of the gym if either team is wearing those damn basketball shorts and not the proper attire.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Says the guy who admits to printing incorrect scores to spare the feelings of losing teams.

We are supposed to print the facts as we know them. If little Johnny Touchdown fumbled at the two, EVERYBODY knows he fumbled at the two. If we leave that out of our story, we look bad and he is not spared the embarrassment anyway.

For those very few people who might care about the result but didn't know about the fumble, you are putting that fumble on everybody on the team when it was only little Johnny that messed up, which is unfair to his teammates.

Better to just do what we are supposed to do in the first place -- print the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted