1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Volleyball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fourcorners, Nov 12, 2010.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Covered one high schooler a few years back that had an, um, pierced clit. Painfully obvious (no pun intended -- OK, a little intended).

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Another stat you shouldn't listen to coaches about is aces.
    Coaches/statkeepers generally give any serve that isn't returned an ace. According to the rule, that is not true.
    An ace is an unreturnable serve. If it's a good serve and a player dives for it and the pass doesn't hit the mark, it's a service winner, not an ace. Basically, treat it like a fielder making a play in baseball. If it's a basic serve that should be returned and it's not, it's a serve receive error. If the serve-receiver has to make a great play on the ball but can't stick the pass, it's a service winner. If the serve is straight unreturnable, it's an ace.
    I talked with the local coach about the rule. One match he had one of his girls with like 15 aces. I had her for like five. I told him to double check the rule and explained my interpretation of it.
    Next time I saw him he told me he agreed with my interpretation of it. His stats and mine have matched since.

I'm still trying to create a nice pbp stat tracker for volleyball. It's tough to keep everything and still know what the hell is going on. I keep a running score, who serves the points and how the point ended. I track blocks, kills, assists, aces and service winners, as well as unforced errors - passes that miss targets, bad sets, etc. - and indicate when they led directly to points.

Volleyball is a great game. I played my senior year of high school, wasn't very good, but picked up a lot. The insight has helped, especially when it comes to writing stories.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some great stuff on here. And some tremendous ignorance.

Do not use service points in your story. It's a bullshit stat relied upon by lazy and/or clueless coaches. Keep point-by-point and kills. It really isn't that hard to keep kills. If you think you have it wrong, ask the coach for help. But if all the coach can give you is service points, you're better off going with no stats at all.

I keep kills, blocks and aces. I just can't keep up enough to do digs. I wouldn't try. Contrary to what some othes posted, these are NOT bullshit stats. They are legitimate stats often kept incorrectly, but they are not bullshit.

Yes, sometimes the interviews are boring. If volleyball is a low-priority sport in your area, you can count on that. They just haven't been interviewed much. That just means it is on you to try to find an interesting angle.

Just don't ever write that the setter led the team in assists. The setter is supposed to lead the team in assists. If the setter fails to lead the team in assists, THAT you write about, and you should ask why. (Sometimes, teams use more than one setter at a time, though not often).

4. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I second the notion that service points are total BS. I covered two years of NCAA volleyball when I was in college and never heard anyone talk about service points. Kills, attack percentage, serve percentage, but never service points. It's a nonsense stat that becomes necessary when you have bad volleyball, which most prep volleyball is. It can be relevant, but just because you had a long service run doesn't mean you did anything right other than make sure the ball got over the net.

But if you're stuck with bad volleyball, yeah, you write about the service runs as a way of reconstructing what happened ... the sequence of the match. To me, poorly played volleyball is more unwatchable than any other sport played poorly. And the thing is, when it's played well -- like in the Olympics -- I find it really entertaining. Lots of strategy and organization when you see a team actually running an offense.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Key thing you should always focus on/make note of - serve receive. Nine times out of 10, if a team isn't doing well on the serve-receive, they're not doing well in the match. Keep note of off-target passes off serves (a serve receive that the setter doesn't set) or on free balls (same thing, just when the opposition bumps it over or rolls it from the back row). Those are unforced errors, passing errors, and if they're adding up that team isn't winning. Note - if a back-row player is trying to make a dig off of a hit, dink, or jump-set third ball, it is not an error if they misplay the pass.
    Service points are BS, but keep track of how many points a particular person serves. It's easy to track service errors and if a team's serve percentage is high, that's a good thing.

I basically track plays like this
    H 0-0 V28-2K

How that reads (from left to right): Home team No. 2 served with the score 0-0; point ended on a kill by No. 2 on a pass from 28. I do my assists differently from just about everyone in every sport. It's from my basketball pxp - passer to scorer.

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

For this or just about any other sport, hit the NCAA website. They have the SID manuals posted in PDF format. Yeah, they follow NCAA rules instead of NFHS, but since the NFHS doesn't put out stat manuals the NCAA manuals are as close as you're gonna get.

I worked in an area for a few years where volleyball was followed fairly closely, both on the high school and collegiate levels. I picked up on a lot of the stats and how to keep them, but I still went to the coaches to get what they had in terms of numbers.

Most people that I've dealt with when it comes to volleyball are really laid back. If you explain to them that you don't know much about the sport, they probably will understand. On the other hand, I've had to deal with some high school coaches who, quite frankly, didn't know much beyond the basics of the game and were just coaching to pick up the supplemental pay. So don't get too concerned about intricate details... if you can pick up a non-technical anecdote or two from your postgame interviews, I'd wrap your story around that and worry less about the Xs and Os.

If you do want to get a little bit into the Xs and Os, here's a tidbit: A high school coach that I dealt with who is now a head coach on the D-I collegiate level was always fond of saying that serving and passing is what wins and loses volleyball matches. So look at how teams transition from defense to offense. If the back-line players are getting the ball to the setter without the setter having to move much, then that team is doing a really good job of passing the ball. If the setter is having to run around all over the place, then it's a sign that things are getting out of sorts.

I do recommend keeping a play-by-play, tracking the score, server and result of the point. I don't keep service points (they are not an official NCAA statistic, and the only person who kept them at the place I learned how to cover volleyball was the ... to put it delicately ... the school's "superfan"), but keeping track of the server allows you to quickly see if a team went on a long scoring run.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Some great advice on this thread. I agree with all who say if you're keeping stats, focus on kills, blocks and aces. All three of these end points, so you should be able to jot these down.

This is excellent advice about shooting volleyball -- probably the toughest prep sport to shoot other than ice hockey.

I would always get dig shots early, then try to see where the "block" sets up on defense. It's easier to anticipate that than it is to try and figure out where the attack is coming from. And the expressions on the faces of the blockers is usually pretty intense!

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Should we really be using the term "kills"? That should go the way of the Washington Bullets and be banned from the lexicon as too violent...kidding of course. Can you dig it?

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

This is obvious, but very solid, advice.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks. I only bring it up because I have seen it done.

11. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

To set the record straight, the NCAA and NFHS rules both define a block as a motion at the net that ENDS THE PLAY. If it's dug up, it's not a block. Just like a kill is not a kill if it's dug up. If players are averaging more than one block a game (not match, but game), they're doing really well.
    And, yes, volleyball can be a great sport when it's played at a high level, even in preps. If you've got two good teams going at it, it's as good as a high-quality football or basketball game in my eyes.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I've seen high school teams differentiate between blocks and "ace" blocks (the ones that end points). Again, this is an area where you're better off doing your own stats.

And I'm with the lorax -- volleyball is a great sport to cover when it's done well.

Draft saved Draft deleted