1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep team down 18-6 with 5 seconds left wins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Hadn't read this in the Strib until I saw a link on deadspin about it today. Battle between two St. Paul teams. One is down 18-6. Scores on a 30-yard pass with 5 seconds left. Recovers the onside kick with 2 seconds. Scores on a 50-yard pass. But they missed the extra points. Still won in OT.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/30547539.html

Foxpreps.com has video of it, but I haven't been able to get that to play yet. This sounds worse than the basketball game a friend lost once as a coach, when he was up 8 with 6 seconds left. Other team made a 3 and got fouled. Kid who committed the foul got a T. So the other team makes three free throws and gets the ball. Then they hit a 3 at the buzzer to win.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I coached a game once where my team was down four with eight seconds left and the other team was shooting free throws.

The girl missed both FTs, and the opposing coach overthinks the situation (keep the press on so we cannot get off a shot) and one of his players picks up a backcourt foul.

I call final timeout and tell my players that when my player makes her second of two free throws (she wound up missing the first and making the second) we would jump into a man, deny press. My only coaching advice was be sure that your player does not catch the ball.

Even though he was winning the entire game, the opposing coach somehow used all of his timeouts (no he was not Isiah Thomas). His girl freaked trying to inbound and had a bad pass picked off. One pass and a drained three and we were in OT, which we won by like six or eight points.

What makes it even sweeter is the opposing coach somehow talked his home book into shaving two points off the score and adding a foul to my to inside player when we were in for halftime. That did not make me happy. I find out he did the same thing with another team a week before.

His home book did not do a very good job keeping up with points and fouls to say the least.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It was 18-12 with five seconds left. But it was 18-6 with six seconds left!

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yep. I don't think it's physically possible to score two touchdowns and recover an onside kick in five seconds.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

In my youth basketball days, I remember a game where we were down 1 point with 10 seconds left against a much better team. Some sort of out of bounds call goes our way and the other team's star player goes ballistic. 2 technicals, out of the game. Our point guard misses the first 3 technical shots and hits the fourth, sending it into overtime, where we won.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So technically, there was about 10 seconds left when the first drive began.

7. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Where was Sage Rosenfels while this was going on?

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Depends on who's operating the clock. Didn't I see a note somewhere that during last year's college football season, a player ran a kickoff back 91 yards for a TD and only four seconds went off the clock?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A 4.0 91-yard dash isn't unusual these days.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading an SI brief years ago in which a high school hoops player was the only one left to play on his team after fouls and injuries with about 15 seconds left on the clock and his team leading by a few points.

Despite the 1 on 5 handicap, Kid managed to hold off the other team for the win by inbounding the ball once off the opponent guarding his inbounds pass back to him, where he got fouled and made the free throws. Other team scores, then decides not to press him. Kid throws it down the court to the other team, which makes the 'steal' and scores, but eats up more clock. Opposing team then decides to let the kid's inbound pass go out of bounds and converts another basket on the turnover. Kid smartens up and starts rolling the ball very slowly so the defense has to pick up the ball.

Time runs out, kid's team wins and individual kid is mobbed by his teammates and fans for winning the game by himself.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If everything is legit, it's physically impossible.

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I don't think you can finish the game with one player. A game I played in, we finished with 2 (me and another guy) and the ref or the coach told us we needed to be careful to stay in the game because it would be over if either of us fouled out.

Draft saved Draft deleted