1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Writer, York (Pa.) Daily Record/Sunday News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pendleton, Aug 15, 2007.

1. doublej

doublej New Member

The concern about working for a Media News paper is somewhat warranted. The staffers at the YDR have been without a union contract for almost two years now, and there appears to be no end to that shitstorm coming anytime soon.

With that being said, I have a ton of respect for the guys on the YDR sports staff and the product they put out. The in-depth enterprise and feature work is something you don't get with a lot of other papers this size.

Lastly, York is an interesting town to work in because you'll be competing with the York Dispatch (30K circulation Monday-Friday), especially on the preps beat. This creates some nice competition and I would argue that it prepares you for kicking ass on a bigger beat down the line.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Dick VanOlinda is one of the better guys in the biz, from a beat standpoint and personal standpoint. He's been all too nice to me, and it's never been warranted.

3. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

I agree with what has been said about the quality of the YDR's sports page/department. Has always been top-notch and seems to have been a serious springboard for a lot of people, too.

Also will echo what was said on here about Seip ... he is a very good guy (interned for me years ago).

At the same time, the worries about working for the company are genuine. I have heard a lot of negatives about the situation there. Regardless of whether you are pro or anti-union, the way the company has behaved during the negotiations there has been deplorable.

But there are a lot worse places to work, and if you are looking at it as a stop on the way and not your final destination, it would probably be worth it to put up with whatever BS is involved for a few years to build your resume.

4. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

any updates for this one?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

yeah, I just sent in my resume.

that probably doesn't help much, does it?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It shows up as hidden for me.

7. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

About 40 resumes have been received for this job opening. Wide range of experience on the resumes. Most of the candidates are extremely high-quality.

Newspaper is doing its best to move quickly on this opening. However, because of the time of year (football tab production and other craziness), it will probably be late next week before top candidates are contacted to set up interviews.

8. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Just an FYI for everyone who submitted materials: The Daily Record is in the midst of interviewing five candidates who were identified from the nearly 50 resumes received for this position.

At the conclusion of those interviews (around the middle of next week), it is hoped that a hire will be made. But that's certainly not a 100 percent guarantee. If additional interviews have to be done, there's still an excellent pool of candidates to choose from.

Draft saved Draft deleted