1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Writer, York (Pa.) Daily Record/Sunday News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pendleton, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

LINK: http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2007/2111.html

Newspaper: York (Pa.) Daily Record/Sunday News

Job listing: Prep sports writer

Phone: (717) 771-2064

The York Daily Record/Sunday News, a seven-day morning newspaper in southcentral Pennsylvania, is looking for a talented reporter to cover and coordinate its prep sports beat. We provide comprehensive coverage of more than 20 high schools through game stories, notebooks, columns, features, enterprise and online journalism, and our preps reporter is at the front of that effort.

We always make room here for talented individuals to do great enterprise work. The reporter leaving our preps position earned statewide writing awards for his features, event coverage and special projects (which included a package on the history of steroid use in York County).

We are a MediaNews Group-owned newspaper with circulations of 47,000 daily and 90,000 Sunday. Our expanding Web presence includes www.ydr.com (our main news site), exchange.ydr.com (our community forum) and www.thelineupcard.com (our sports blog). We are continually expanding and improving upon our online efforts, and our prep sports writer will have significant involvement in those online efforts.

Send resume, references and your best writing clips to Chris Otto, Sport Editor, York Daily Record/Sunday News, 1891 Loucks Road, York, Pa. 17408. Or, better yet, e-mail those materials to cotto@ydr.com. EOE.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who's leaving?

Wicked Seal of Approval, by the way. Great boss, great co-workers, a city that's starting to get some nightlife.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You have one league, the York Area Interscholastic Athletic Association. You cover all those schools, that's the coverage area. Makes it pretty nice and neat for keeping stats and such.

I think York is a pretty neat town. You're also a half-hour from Harrisburg, a half-hour from Lancaster and an hour from Baltimore. Great new ballpark for their first-year Atlantic League team. Sandlot baseball remains huge there. And it's a paper which tries to do things the right way.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The first A in YAIAA now stands for Adams (County). I know, old habits die hard. :D As someone who's covered the league, I'll tell you that the drives all are relatively easy. Except for Fairfield, which is way out of the way of everything else.

I meant to stop in on the ballpark last week when I was in town but didn'y. Otto really is a good guy, and if you're a Penn Stater, the newsroom is filled (I mean filled) with them.

5. Keystone

Keystone Member

Though it doesn't say it on the job description, I think being a PSU grad is mandetory. ;D

Lots of good non-revenue teams, too. York Suburban swimming has been kicking butt state wide in recent years.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not totally true, Keystone. I know of some hack who graduated from BU that did OK for himself in that city and in that newsroom.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, I almost forgot ... the day a York County team plays for a state football title, gold will fall from the sky and we shall all be rich.

8. Bloomsburg or Boston?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Love that dirty water.

And Littlestown went pretty far under George Shue, maybe even making a state final? But you're right, the football is weak compared to the Mid-Penn.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Adams County. I said York County. ;)

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Same league there, bigshot. :D

12. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Answering some questions that have popped up:

1. This opening was created because the current preps reporter decided to move across the newsroom and take a Metro beat position.

2. Being a Penn State graduate is certainly NOT a prerequisite for this job. Of the 10 full-timers on the sports staff, only three are from Penn State and only one of those three is a writer (and he's the one leaving the staff)

3. The YAIAA does, indeed, have a lot of great athletes, teams and stories to cover. Another example: The past FIVE PIAA Class AA girls' basketball state champions are from the YAIAA.

Draft saved Draft deleted