1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports writer, The Santa Fe New Mexican

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jbarron, Aug 5, 2010.

1. jbarron

jbarron New Member

Join a four-person team covering high school sports in beautiful, diverse, culturally rich Northern New Mexico. You would have room to write and encouragement for in-depth reporting. You would work for The New Mexican, the West’s oldest newspaper in the West’s oldest community. The news organization is a locally owned institution that has been here for 161 years but is ambitiously up to date and innovative in online and digital delivery. Add those digital efforts to the 24,000-circulation daily, and you would be part of an organization whose readership is exploding to almost 100,000 a day. We serve a large area that spans seven counties, where fans are crazy about sports.

You should have a solid year of experience writing great game stories and developing compelling enterprise. A college degree and college media experience would help you stand out.
    By Aug. 14, you should send a letter, resume and clips to:

James Barron
    202 E. Marcy
    Santa Fe, NM 87501
    jbarron@sfnewmexican.com

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Santa Fe is hiring again? I seem to remember them having an opening at this time two years ago that got frozen.

3. esport12

esport12 Member

Is the pay enough to live there comfortably (sans ramen)?

4. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Not sure what the pay is, but I can tell you Santa Fe is very expensive when compared with the rest of the state.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I'm sorry... Is it just me or is this a job at a large newspaper in a state capitol in one of our country's most culturally significant cities?

Under different circumstances, I would apply for this in a heartbeat. I'd say you worry about cost of living when you're negotiating your salary. I don't think people should be scared away from applying based on such things.

All that said, there are some fantastic gigs that have surfaced on this board for people looking for that second or third job.

Go get 'em.

6. nmsports

nmsports Member

This is a gig I've been wanting for some time so I'm going after it hard and heavy.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Thanks for the warning.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Define large. It's 22,505 daily and 22,809 Sunday. The Beaumont, Texas, paper has a larger circulation for its posted opening.

9. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm not sure the New Mexican has much of a statewide voice. If you live in Albuquerque or south you don't pay much attention to it. Can't speak for the northern part of the state.

That said it's not a bad paper and it's got some really good people working there.

Draft saved Draft deleted