1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports writer, Tallahassee, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Tallahassee Democrat opening
    http://jobpath.com/CSH/Details.aspx?did=J8D0Q064TDM6YFJXG6W&csh=CSH_GANNETT

Description
    High school sports reporter for newspaper and online news sites, covering local high school teams and helping to coordinate correspondents and reader-submitted news coverage. Also will help in gathering stats and other information related to high school sports with occasional assignments to cover Florida State, Florida A&M, Tallahassee Community College or other local and community sports or related events.

Requirements
    At least two years experience preferred. Good interviewing and writing skills required. Knowledge of Microsoft Word, HTML and multimedia background a plus. Must have proven track record of meeting deadlines with clear, concise writing; have a strong working knowledge of multiple sports, grammar and spelling. Good planning, interpersonal and organizational skills a must.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not a bad gig. If only the pay were a bit better. But it IS Gannett we're talking about here and I'm not sure about Tallahassee's cost of living. One bonus: no state tax.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Once upon a time, Brian McLaughlin (now of Daytona Beach) truly owned this beat. A fine reporter, and good people too.

And no, I'm not B-Mac....

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Base Pay: $29,900.00 - $34,990.00 /Year

Lower cost of living than where I am, but it still sounds a bit low.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I was making $23K as a prep writer before. So $35K sounds good to me for a prep job.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i bet you weren't making $23K at a 50k or larger paper ... and you know the person coming in will make $30k, not $35k.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's a college town, so there are plenty of places to drink cheap beer. Gas is a bit higher than most parts of the state (for reasons I've never understood) but again, because it's a college town, apartments should be cheap. You just may have to live next door to a party every night.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto that.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

What happened to Jim Henry?

11. Greatescape

Greatescape New Member

Jimbo left more than a year ago and is working for Don Yaeger, helping him with his book projects, etc.
    Mary Beth Bishop is the latest writer to give up the preps burden at the Democrat. She did an outstanding job -- as did Jim, and yes, Brian.
    But Brian never had to survive the Gannett factor.
    Tread carefully and be prepared to kiss mucho butt.

12. hoopsfor3

hoopsfor3 New Member

Where did Mary Beth go? I understand Randy Beard and Jack Corcoran have left the building too. If that's true, that's a lot of bolting going on up there in Bowden Land.

Draft saved Draft deleted