1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports reporter, State Journal-Register, Springfield, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jan 22, 2009.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure if they have any of Lincoln's bones, but Metropolis, Ill., does lay claim to Superman:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Is it true that even Metropolis refuses to accept the "southern Illinois" designation? Everywhere I ever lived in Illinois growing up, people insisted "southern Illinois" started 30 miles south of them, and that they were "central."

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's not sad that a state capital city gets 300 applicants for an opening. It's tough odds, but it tells me that hundreds of people, however naive they may be, believe in the enduring relevance of newspapers to tell local stories to local readers.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If Metropolis isn't southern Illinois, what is??? They're farther south than much of Kentucky.

That being said, geography has always been a bit screwy in the "Land of Lincoln." I always loved how Chicagoans like to refer to places like Rockford and Freeport as "downstate." ???

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Chicagoans don't think Illinois exists south of I-80

6. Scouter

Scouter Member

I went to college with a Chicagoan who considered anything south of I-80 southern Illinois. I suppose that's an improvement.

The 618 area code is southern Illinois in my book. Isn't that right, Central Illinoisan?

7. RickStain

No matter where you are in Illinois, "southern Illinois" officially starts at the next town south, according to the locals.

Chicagoans say it starts at I-80. Peorians say it starts at Springfield. Springfielders say it starts in the 618 area code.

8. Scouter

Scouter Member

Where I grew up I considered southern Illinois. So if it was the next town south, then my mind just exploded.

9. RickStain

Well, you have my condolences at the least.

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Second that.

11. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

GateHouse stock closing at 7 cents today, and the company has had it's line of credit cut to $35 million because it's about $1 billion in debt.

Not saying I wouldn't take the job if I were looking, but I wouldn't sign a long-term lease.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I thought the stock got delisted?

Draft saved Draft deleted