1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports reporter, State Journal-Register, Springfield, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Does anyone know why the SJR is taking applications for so long? Most papers want to high someone ASAP, so I found that odd. Has the person this job is replacing not left yet?

2. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Any news on this one?

3. jwerner56

jwerner56 New Member

I heard from an employee on the GateHouse sports desk that Springfield was just beginning to look over applications. Apparently, the company received 300 applications, and more than 150 on the first day of posting. Good luck! :-\

4. So basically what you're saying is don't start searching for apartments in the Springfield area just yet?

Depressing.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Dang. I knew a couple guys who really, really wanted that job, but that's a tall order.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

It's a sad day when Springfield gets 300 resumes. How do you even go through such a pile as a sports editor? My guess is you don't. That you already have a few people in mind for the gig. Springfield isn't a bad place to live though. It kind of reminds me of a rich man's Galesburg. Seriosly, it does have a fun downton district. And very historic, if you're into that.

7. jps

jps Active Member

pt, I go through anything I get for any job. that's not to say I read every line - though I do look at every resume to start. interesting, solid work history, maybe an award or two, good references ... these get you into the 'need to look at further' pile. you can dump 2/3 a lot of times this way and then get into really looking at what you've got.

8. Scouter

Scouter Member

You hatin' on the Burg? Why I oughta...

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Many great people have come from Galesburg. Take, for instance, Carl Sandburg and...um...that other guy.

10. Scouter

Scouter Member

Don't forget Gold Glove catcher Jim Sundberg. Ronald Reagan lived her for a short while. And who could leave out George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr., inventor of the Ferris Wheel?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Is there a single town in Illinois that doesn't lay claim to either Reagan or Lincoln? Produce bones or stfu.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

To my knowledge, East Gillespie has no claim to Lincoln. That might be the only place.

Draft saved Draft deleted