1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

prep sports reporter @ S.C. newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CubReporters, Jun 4, 2009.

1. CubReporters

CubReporters New Member

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Wow, can't believe Jason Gilmer is leaving. Someone will have some pretty big shoes to fill, because Gilmer did an outstanding job covering preps in an area that is pretty nuts about high school sports.

This is a good job, so jump on it, folks.

3. Head Over Heels

Head Over Heels New Member

If they are calling this entry-level, does that mean Jason's role as "Preps Editor" was filled?

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This is just a guess, but I would think it's more likely the "preps editor" will be replaced with a "preps reporter."

5. Head Over Heels

Makes sense. If nothing else, that would relieve the pressure of the guy or gal coming in to have to follow Gilmer's performance. I'm nearby, and the enterprise and All-Area stuff they did there was incredible. Now Spartanburg will know what they had, and hopefully, the other areas will know what they've been missing.

6. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Anyone have any idea what the pay might be here?

On a side note, is there anything more frustrating than the NYTimes application site? So.annoying.

7. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

BTW

Does anyone actually know how to apply for this thing? The link above sends me to Monster, Monster sends me directly to the NYT career site, but the apply now button is grayed out.

The ad also says to go to their website, which only sends me to the NY times career site. When I try to search for the ad there, I can't find it.

I'd hate to have to call someone and explain that I apparently am not smart enough to figure out their website...

Am I missing something?

8. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Actually, if I just put 'reporter' in the keyword, nothing comes up.

So, either the site is broken or there are literally no job openings in the entire company?

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Gilmer is leaving Spartanburg because his wife landed a gig elsewhere. In the time Gilmer was in Spartanburg, he really changed the way preps were covered (he wrote a ton of features, gamers, advances and blogs a good bit, too). He was also very well liked in the community from what I gather because he was pretty good at balancing the prep coverage at all the schools. This job is not for somebody looking to write a story or two and go home. Gilmer was probably the hardest working sportswriter in S.C., and it's going to take somebody with a pretty good work ethic to match his production. Heck, a year ago at the state track meet, Gilmer wrote 9-10 stories, a blog, shot photos and shot video (I think). And if you asked him the next day, he probably would have told you how much fun it was to do all that.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Jason's one of the hardest working reporters I've ever known. I really good writer, as well. If he's moving for his wife's gig, then whatever paper is in his new area is going to fall into a gem.

11. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

Yea I had the same problem. Why can't everyone just keep it simple and have us email our stuff to the sports editor?

12. Head Over Heels

I don't know about the last part of your post...LOL...(You covered state track recently?....ain't nothing fun about it...i was lucky enough to win that Rock-Paper-Scissors match this year) however, I do agree with the rest of it. Gilmer will certainly be missed...by his colleagues and I suspect certainly by the high school crowd in Sparta.

Draft saved Draft deleted