1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports reporter for The Daily News (Longview, WA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mschube33, Jul 14, 2014.

1. mschube33

mschube33 New Member

The Daily News in Longview, Wash., seeks a talented journalist to take over its prep sports beat. This is an entry-level position tailor-made for an up-and-coming reporter ready to sink their teeth into a prep sports scene rich in history, rivalry and passion. The ideal candidate must have strong writing skills, a thorough understanding of AP style, the initiative to develop reports without direction, and solid news judgment. The last two reporters to fill this position moved on to jobs with major metro dailies.

The prep sports reporter will be counted on to produce content for The Daily News’ Preps+ print and digital products, including three seasonal special sections, a weekly Preps+ feature page and the TDN +Blog. This depth of production requires someone capable of writing clear, concise stories on tight deadlines in addition to in-depth features, enterprise pieces and columns. Daily deadline experience is a pre-requisite and clips should demonstrate a wide range of sports coverage and storytelling.

This position demands strong organizational skills, priority setting and contact building within the sports community. Reporters must be social network savvy and motivated. Experience in newspaper design, photography and video is a bonus. Reliable transportation and the willingness to work evenings and weekends are required.

To learn more about The Daily News and to apply for this position, please log onto http://www.tdn.com/workhere. A cover letter, resume and clips (no more than five) must be included with your application to be considered.

Those interested can also email me, the sports editor, with your materials (mschubert@tdn.com). I encourage you to also apply on the site. It is a bit cumbersome, I know, but a requirement of anyone we hire.

Thanks and feel free to message me with questions,
    Matt Schubert

2. mpentz32

mpentz32 New Member

This is the job I'm leaving, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Our region is uncommonly engaged with its prep athletics -- nearly 7,000 fans showed up for the rivalry football game between the two Longview schools last fall -- and the quality of the section more than meets the demand.

You will hone every kind of skill, from doing featuring writing for our thrice-yearly magazines to continuing into build our online presence. This is a place that encourages big projects and ambitious thinking with a readership that appreciates it.

I am leaving this job to take over the Sounders beat at the Seattle Times and the writer before me is currently doing D-Backs coverage for the Arizona Republic, so the room for growth is there.

Feel free to email me with any questions at mattjpentz@gmail.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted