1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports reporter, Davenport, IA.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by williemcgee51, Mar 25, 2009.

1. From Lee Enterprises website:

Job Details
    Title: Preps Sports Reporter
    Job Type: News
    Division: Quad-City Times

Description:
    Quad-City Times
    Preps Sports Reporter

The Quad-City Times (51,000 daily, 68,000 Sunday), part of the Lee Enterprises chain, is seeking a multipurpose sports journalist who has solid reporting skills and can report for the print paper and the Web.

We are seeking a sports reporter who will devote most of his or her time to covering local high school sports. This is an area in which we place heavy emphasis and consider some of our most important beats. High school teams in the area routinely compete, and win, in state championships in Illinois and Iowa, so our readers expect superior coverage.

The ideal candidate for this job needs to be able to report for our print newspaper and our ever-growing qcvarsity.com site. Online and multimedia knowledge is required. This reporter also must have a hunger for enterprise journalism and exploring new ways of telling stories, whether it is online or in print.

We are in a diverse, two-state, sports-oriented metro area of about 400,000 people that is three hours from the nearest major league sports city but within five hours of six of them. We are just 50 miles from the University of Iowa, have minor-league franchises in several sports and are home to a PGA tournament and the largest non-marathon road race in the Midwest.
    Qualified candidates should have a bachelor's degree and possibly some daily newspaper experience.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Me thinks they're looking for local (read: can pay entry-level, low salary) candidates.

PM me for more info about the gig.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Didn't these guys just lay people off?

4. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I don't see this job posted on Lee Enterprise's site anymore.

5. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

how big is this staff?

6. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Does anybody know what their time table for this one is? Does them taking down the ad mean they're wanting to move soon/quickly?

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

They still had the position advertised in their print classified section today.

8. spartan47

spartan47 New Member

What is the latest on this one?

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The staff is:

Sports editor
    Sports news editor (an ASE who runs the desk and books the section every day)
    Three deskies (who do write on rare occasions)
    Three or four reporters
    A handful of part-time agate-typers and call-takers

It can't be emphasized enough how seriously they take the Web site. And yes, there were layoffs here earlier this year, one of whom was a Web producer, so come with some Web skills and big ideas.

10. Is there any contact info for this one? I went on both the paper's Web site and Lee Enterprises site and couldn't find the job listed anywhere... did they take it down?

Draft saved Draft deleted