1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Reporter at The (Ames, Iowa) Tribune,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mjschaefer

mjschaefer New Member

Applied.

2. bsugrad

bsugrad New Member

So will 100 other people.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Congrats.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

This is like the YMCA where everyone who applies gets a job!

5. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Same here. Hear anything?

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Likewise.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's been a week. What do people expect? There are jobs that haven't been filled for months on the board.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

And that is the worst part about jobs. It's not the application or searching for them; it's the waiting. Personally, I'm still waiting on jobs from months ago. It sucks.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you send a resume and clips, and just hope someone will call you?

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Nah, I follow up

11. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

What's a good timeline for following up? This job was posted 8-9 days ago. When would be a good time to give the editor a call and ask for the latest information? Also, should you ever ask when they expect to hire the person or begin doing interviews? I don't want to seem like much of a bother when I'm calling -- the editor is figuring out who to hire and putting out a newspaper -- but I do want to know about the position.

12. esport12

esport12 Member

Each person has his or her own feeling about following up and whether it's a nuisance or not. My policy has always been to put myself in the editor's position: If I were doing the hiring, trying to put out a paper and doing all the other crap, would I be bothered by a follow-up?

That being said, eight or nine days is a bit premature. The editor may still be reading or accepting applications. I'd wait about two weeks or so, and just asking about a timeline for the whole process and make sure the editor received the application.

Draft saved Draft deleted