1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Reporter at The (Ames, Iowa) Tribune,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

I call bullshit.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can get more at Podunk weeklies.

3. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Where can I apply for Podunk Weekly? I make $18k

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

As far as this job -- wish I could move! I would love to be closer to a good AFL town!

5. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

I love the "going rate" comment. Again, if you pay people that kind of pittance, the work will suffer. When the product suffers, people will stop reading. Simple as that.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Paying low isn't the best way to secure great talent, but people do take pride in their work and try to perform well.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If a nearby AFL team is a selling point, I'd run far away.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I wasn't putting down Ames at all. I've covered games at both Iowa and Iowa State. I've liked various aspects of both cities. In Ames, for example, there is a corner of the football stadium that is a grassy hill. It's cool seeing kids playing on that hill while a D-1 football game is going on a few feet away. Definitely different than something you'd see at Kinnick.
    I just figured some Iowa fans would see the job opening and trade some barbs about covering ISU. ;)

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

So the pay is shit and the SE has leeched the two top beats for himself? Sounds like a winner.

10. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

As someone who works at a podunk weekly, I can attest to that.

11. nmsports

nmsports Member

It's sad that a position requiring everything listed in this ad is paying less than what I got when I started in this business 25 years ago at entry level.

12. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Man that makes me want to cry as a recent grad looking for a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted