1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Reporter at The (Ames, Iowa) Tribune,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

The Tribune in Ames, Iowa, seeks a versatile sports writer to cover primarily preps with a sprinkling of everything from Division I college to community sporting events. Must be knowledgeable in the typical array of high school sports, able to write clean copy for the Web and on deadline and show creativity in developing features, profiles, enterprise and alternative story format pieces.

We are looking for a true journalist, not just a super fan, who embraces new media, social media, and real-time reporting. Demonstrated experience with deadline, online and multimedia reporting is a necessity. Position demands night and weekend work. Four-year degree in journalism or equivalent experience required. We are a six-day daily with two Web sites in a college town 30 minutes north of Des Moines. We cover nine high schools and the Iowa State Cyclones in a competitive market.

Please send a cover letter, resume, up to five clips, and references to sports editor Bobby LaGesse at The Tribune, 317 Fifth St., Ames, IA 50010 or rlagesse@amestrib.com. No phone calls, please.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1027988

2. Haneluca

Haneluca New Member

I would definitely apply for this if I wasn't just a couple months deep in a new job. Just about all of the teams in the Trib's coverage area are competitive in most sports, not mention Ames High and a certain young man named Harrison Barnes who just rolled through. I know the SE covers Iowa State football and basketball, but leaves volleyball and wrestling (both top-10 programs) to the writers. You really won't have any dead time as far as preps are concerned since Iowa high schools play baseball and softball in the summer.

As the post said, you're close to Des Moines, but there is still plenty to do in Ames and the cost of living is pretty reasonable. And I can't forget to mention that Downtown Deli on Main Street is the best sandwich I've ever had. Good luck to all that apply, and feel free to ask me anything about the area.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Cost of living is low. It better be, anyway, for the pay.

4. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Nice town. Where did Ben go?

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see the responses from some of the Hawkeyes on this board. :eek: ;D

6. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's been awhile, but I can attest that Ames is a fun town, especially for a younger reporter taking this gig. It's no Iowa City, of course :D, but there's still a lot of cool places around Iowa State. The occasional weekend in Minneapolis is not out of the question, either. (provided you can afford it).

And no one said you had to root for the Clones! Objectivity, man!

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Is there at least a Steak and Shake?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I vacation in Iowa each summer and I'll vouch for Ames. Good place, and you're close to Des Moines (which is a more vibrant city than you'd think). Good luck to those who apply.

10. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Best of luck to those who apply, but for 20-25K, you get what you pay for.

11. bsugrad

bsugrad New Member

Everything is going 20-25K, unless you're one of the largest papers in your state. Papers are broke. It's amazing any place is hiring. This is the going rate.

12. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I think if you're at a current paper, you shouldn't jump ship for another company unless it is a larger daily for the same salary. Example, I wouldn't move from Washington state to Illinois for the same pay scale despite going from weekly to daily.

Draft saved Draft deleted