1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep sports editor, Athens (Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Kaltefleiter, Dec 6, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Would certainly not be the first time either has happened. My last joint, I had to convince the HR director that my paper really was being stolen every day to get out of the subscription deal. At another joint, with the exception of coming in really late at night, you were responsible for finding a metered parking spot 99 percent of the time. There was a parking garage, but you had to pay for it.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I can think of at least one decent-sized paper that makes its employees pay to park in their garage. Less if you were a second-shifter.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

My paper is right in the middle of downtown, where parking is both limited and costly. A subscription to the paper (which I would have bought anyway) gets you a parking pass.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've worked at multiple papers that required you to subscribe, though at half-price (again, hardly a big deal).

But parking is bull. I worked at a big paper that deducted $10/week from your check for the garage. Heard the charge was first put in place to help pay for it, but it was built years ago and now the garage rents many spaces (for much more $$) to other businesses. That garage has to be long since paid for, but the paper is now hooked on the larceny money.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, if you live in your car it's a pretty good deal on rent.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

back in the day, you pay for parking, but it was only until like 5 p.m. after that, it didn't matter if you paid or not. so for most night folks, parking was free. and, well, there's always ways for the sharp folks to get around it

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

take the bus. not hard at all in the ATH.

8. That would be the AHN, and unless you intentionally live on a bus line (which means in one of the poorer neighborhoods in some cases), it can be very difficult. I once tried to bus to an old job, with once being the operative word.

The point is that Morris Communications is CHEAP, and nickels and dimes their employees.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Pretty sure the bus isn't gonna take you to Commerce on a Thursday afternoon to do a preview.

10. or Prince Avenue Christian School, where they "strive to equip our students with the truth, understanding, and discernment leading to life-changing transformation as they pursue the mind of Christ.", as they say on their monotone radio commercials on 960 the Ref, driving my kids nuts as we drive to school.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hey, they're a hell of a lot more sane than the people at ACS. Which is to say, the Cummings family, nice though they may be.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

but they run like the wind

Draft saved Draft deleted