1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Sports Coordinator, Bend, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ForSaleByOwner, Jul 12, 2007.

1. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=802391

Company: The Bulletin
    Position:
    Prep Sports Coordinator
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    August 16, 2007
    Job ID: 802391

Description:
    The Bulletin, a growing 30,000-plus circulation daily newspaper in the Central Oregon hub of Bend, is looking for and enthusiastic and resourceful reporter to serve as our prep sports coordinator.

The successful candidate will become part of a team of 10 on The Bulletin's sports staff, which strives to cover everything from traditional sports to the offbeat and extreme. Among our areas of local emphasis is high school sports, which we cover—the traditional varsity sports and more—like no one else in Central Oregon. We're looking for creative new ways to keep our readers informed about what's going on with athletes and teams at our 10 area high schools.

Reporting experience is preferred; organizational skills, polished writing ability and a track record of accuracy and reliability are a must.

The Bulletin is a privately held newspaper with a reputation for quality community journalism. We offer competitive pay and benefits, including profit sharing, and ample opportunities for traning and advancement.

Bend, population 70,000, offers a resort-town lifestyle along the Deschutes River, with big city amenities and incredible outdoor recreation opportunities.

To apply, please mail cover letter, resume and writing samples to: Eleanor Pierce Newsroom Administrator The Bulletin P.O. Box 6020 Bend, OR 97708

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Nice paper, beautiful area, cost of living through the roof (resort town).

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Anyone know of the pay scale?

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

10-person staff at a 30K paper? That's impressive, especially with no pros or major colleges. Area is pretty and pretty expensive these days.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably near-impossible to find a house costing less than $250-$275K in Bend, and I seriously might be underestimating since the last time I checked.

Preps are big. They've bumped up their coverage of the state's Pac-10 schools the past couple years but the trip over the mountain to cover games in Eugene or Corvallis is a bitch and can be pretty dicey in the winter.

6. Great town, but unless you have a sugar mama (or sugar daddy), buying a house in Bend on this salary is probably out of your wheelhouse. Still, I'm hoping this gig comes open again in about a year. Would love to move there if a job came open in the sports department.

7. The housing in Bend is a little weird because they didn't have the downturn that the rest of the country has gone through the last couple years. It might be coming soon, though. Bend seems to buck a lot of trends. Heck, the paper has a growing circulation and a growing staff. And they charge for access to their Web site.
    This is the second job they are filling in short order. They just made another hire recently.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

I believe the word coordinator does not mean you'll be in the office calling the shots. I'd bank on doing plenty of writing. pretty solid paper, though.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Out of curiosity, when did this become a solid paper according to SportsJournalists.com? If you read the threads from the last 2 years, this paper has been shredded on here.

The town, however, is awesome. It has everything, hippies and members of the GOP. Outdoor activities out the wazoo and a great nightlife. Just a fantastic small city to live in, if you can afford it.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

One of Outside magazine's top towns for 2007.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

... sending property values up another 10 percent.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you have to accept it for what it is. i think they have too much outdoors and over reach, but i actually read it, which i can't say for many sports sections.

Draft saved Draft deleted