1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep soccer coach fired after going on honeymoon during season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Sep 25, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

http://www.sedaliademocrat.com/sports/article_bb608b98-06cb-11e2-a28b-001a4bcf6878.html

A coach saw he had a 10-day break between games, so he and his new wife went on their honeymoon. He returned to a pink slip since he forgot to tell the administration that he was leaving.

I think it's a bit harsh, but at the same time, you are paid to be the coach all season...not just for the games. Yes, he had his bases covered since his assistant ran practice, but missing a seeding meeting and a JV game is inexcusable.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I clicked this link figuring the headline was just subtle and the real reason for the firing was that the honeymoon was with one of his players.

Now I'm bored.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It isn't even like this guy is a first-year coach. He should've known to at least tell the AD.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Wifey should have been well aware, long before the wedding, that New Hubby was a prep soccer coach. That means you don't leave town while the season is on. If she was unwilling or unable to deal with that, she was probably marrying the wrong guy. Wait another six weeks until the season is over, then go crazy on your honeymoon.

2. Coachy Boy was an idiot not to notify the administration. If he was not going to miss any varsity games, had all the practices and other team events covered, there's really no reason they wouldn't let him go (as long as he was in constant cellphone contact).

3. IN MY DAYYYYYY, it was utterly unheard-of for coaches OR players to ever miss one day of practices or games during a season. Period. Spring sports athletes were told flat-out they could forget going anywhere over spring break. Even if all the baseball or softball team was doing was playing whiffleball in the gym, nobody was allowed to go anywhere. Those days are long gone now and every spring we cover dozens of games where coaches moan and groan about half their team being gone on spring break. Unless the school district has a similar zero-tolerance policy about kids blowing off spring sports to go to Daytona, they aren't being consistent.

4. Oh dear, the varsity coach missed a JV game? I know plenty of varsity coaches who NEVER show up at JV games. Why should they? What did they hire the JV coach for?

5. I suppose the "seeding meeting" is some kind of humungous big deal, but most high school tournaments I've ever covered either do the seedings by blind draws or by set criteria (WL record, GF vs GA, etc).

Bottom line, the coach and his wife are stupid and the administration is stupid too.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Could have been cleared up in the offseason by making the current assistant and head coach co-head coaches. Split the pay. Split the duties. If that doesn't work, head coach and assistant switch for a season.

Draft saved Draft deleted