1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep school team forfeits because other team is "too good"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Athletically, definitely. I meant no disrespect to to the ISL schools' academic reputations. But I can't explain why some athletic programs thrive while other seemingly comparable ones founder. Facilities? Coaching? Tradition? Not sure. I can say that Lawrence hasn't sold out to become a jock factory. I realize 19-year-olds can't play in the public schools. But it's a level playing field in the ISL. So the age deal is a red herring.

What I can't wrap my head around is an undefeated team ducking an opponent once the game is next up on the schedule. What would SG wait so long to back out, if back in November it tried to change the schedule? I need to dig into this story deeper this week.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

lone star -- are you describing the school you attended, or have you kept up with current goings-on to know if that's still the case? Many of the comments on the various articles reference some kids who get kicked out of public schools and then magically show up on LA's roster as fifth-year seniors. If true (not saying it is, just that it's the belief of many of their competitors), that would mean the program has gotten pretty far adrift from what it was when you were there. And that is not uncommon at all among high schools that choose to be football superpowers.

How many D-I prospects are there in the rest of the league? Seems like there are about a dozen on LA's roster, going to places all over the country, which certainly makes it look like an Oak Hill situation from the outside.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/high_school/index.php/2010/10/05/more-on-lawrence-academy-st-georges-and-the-future/

This blog post by Danny Ventura seems to explain the situation in the ISL pretty well.
    One other school, BB & N, is on the same page as Lawrence Academy. The rest of the league seems to have a different philosophy.

4. KP

KP Active Member

If the schedule gets tweaked during the offseason nobody notices it. Do it the week of the game, it brings the bigger issue to the forefront.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

St. George's beat St. Mark's 20-8 this weekend to improve to 3-1 in the league. To me, it's just looking more and more like SG was ahead of the curve on this one, and that other schools might follow in the future.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just throwing this out there, lone star...are you from VA?

Draft saved Draft deleted